new kind of comp idea (hot and fast sportsman series)

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i was thinking of a new kind of competition. this would be an idea for the national competition thread. i'm presenting it here to be hammered out. it would be in series form and would be designed to be more like a watchable sport than a regular competition. it would have 100 to 200 teams overall with 10 to 15 competing at a time picked at random. entry fees would be high in the beginning $500.00 maybe $1,000.00 in the beginning to create a big prize. hopefully drawing viewers, media attention and sponsors. turn ins would be different too. contest starts at 9:00am with a gunshot like a race. chichen gets turned in first at 11:00 am and a leader board is defined at 12:00 noon. ribs at 1:00pm, pork at 3:00pm and brisket at 5:00pm. at this point side dishes could be added at noon, 2:00pm and 4:00pm to move the leader board. the idea of this is to present something filmable and watchable with four timeclock tick downs and the leader board so a viewer can follow along. in the case of a $1,000.00 entry fee GC would get $1,000.00 and a place in the finals, RGC would get a place in the finals only. the final would be the last in the series with the winnere competing for $100,000.00 in prize money. it could be called a "sportsman series" or something like that. what do you all think?

I think if you add some sort of Full Contact in there, you may be onto something.
It sounds interesting, perhaps done on a smaller scale with lower entry fees, until the kinks are worked out.

I would scale back on the entry fees and look for sponsors. Especially if you are going for the TV crowd.

Move the pork to 4:00 pm and start at 8:00 am and you've got something.

IMO, there is not enough time to do much in the time you've laid out.

it seems way too stretched out for a tv crowd. whos gonna watch BBQ cooking from 9AM till 5PM? well, us sure, but that aint gonna sell commercials(see pitmasters).

make it real hot and fast. cooking starts at 6AM.
turn in times are 12, 12:30, 1, and 1 :30.
2 hours of intense turn in activity with 6 hours of of prep(6AM to 12PM)filler, interview, etc. material.
would make a solid 2 hour nascar like presentation.
commision tv crews IN THE CONTEST AREA to reduce travel expense.
pay out scale as written is pretty brutal.
would certainly bring out the big dogs.

So it's for TV and you want teams to pay for everything. 15 teams at $1000 = $15000 for a $1000 GC??? How about you pay expenses to get teams there and put up $5k for each qualifier and then $100k for the overall winner? Wait that's already been done.

So it's for TV and you want teams to pay for everything. 15 teams at $1000 = $15000 for a $1000 GC??? How about you pay expenses to get teams there and put up $5k for each qualifier and then $100k for the overall winner? Wait that's already been done.

You took the words out of my mouth. :becky:

It's a start...but the concept needs serious tweaking in my opinion. I know we wouldnt enter any contest for 1k in hopes of only winning 1k.....not that we have ever won much.

Still, sponsorship should be the avenue you need to head down first. The concept has it's merits, but really needs fine-tuning.

Best of luck dude!!

For a $1,000 entry fee, we'd look for a total purse for the comp at or over $50k. Too
many of these ($50k events) that we can enter for $300. TV, for an 8 or 9 hour
competition? Doubt it, IMHO. Perhaps just a grill hamburger cookoff, start to finish
in an hour. Entry fee of $100. Plus, in your thoughts above, 200 teams selected
at random. So, the contest is in say, for example, Chicago area, and a team from
middle Florida is drawn. They'll drive 18 hours each way (more if it's an RV)? I
doubt it. If you want something like that, divide the country into regions, have a
regional series, then a championship somewhere in the middle of the country...

Back