Best way to measure grate temp?

Cuebie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've got a Weber OTG, so far the OEM hood thermo is accurate (at least at 212f) but with dual zone cooking, I'm curious what the grate temp is.

I've seen some mods where guys will drill and add a silicone grommet & a probe. Where can you get these grommets? Is this the best way? What's the best kind of bit to use to drill the kettle? I'm totally willing to drill the OTG, I just want to make sure this is the best method before I go putting holes in it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your replies, you guys have been very gracious offering up good tips!

Best,

Ian H.

I added a thermometer at grate level.
I used 3 bits to drill the hole starting with a 1/4", then sizing up to 1/2" and finally making the finished opening with a 7/8" bit. You may find that purchasing a step drill bit is cheaper than buying a bunch of steel bits to drill one hole, I happen to have these in my collection from 30 years in construction.

Thighs3_zpsc70b8cca.jpg

Thanks Cliff! Cool, I'll definitely need a step drill bit, what about a cone grinder on the end of a Rotozip so I don't chip the ceramic? Do you notice a large difference between the ambient temp in the grill and the grate measurement?

Thanks again & glad to meet ya.

Best,

Ian

I believe you can get the grommets from Weber, for WSM,
or ereplacementparts.com.....

For me, best way to know grate, is at the grate.....

Jan29Danaedad047.jpg

Trust the process, trust the setup, trust the kettle.......the therms are for a quick check that I'd be doing anyway & everyone else's amusement...........

I opted not to drill and use the Maverick ET733 with the probe wires running under the lid. I wrapped the wires in foil to give them a little added protection and that seems to help alleviate any chance of crimping.

Back