Chicken advice PLEASE!

jelser

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My chicken scores are killing me on my overall score. Two questions, what brand of chicken do you have the best luck with and what internal temperature do you cook thighs to?

buy from sams. it does vary by region of the country. best results for me are to about 190f.

Is your problem with taste or tenderness? Is the skin bite thru? Does moisture leak out when you bite it (test 15 minutes after sending the box off for judging not before you build the box)? If you take 2 or more bites does the heat stick on your tongue? Can you taste the sweet?

If you plan to be at SAMS Tampa or Haines City maybe I can save a piece for you to taste.

Ford, wow 190 seems high to me and would seem to be dry even if brined. I’ve tried it so many different ways from barely 165 to 180ish, in a butter bath, no butter bath, heavy smoke, light smoke, and I’m always scared to overcook it. At 165, it is moist but seems like the judges don’t care for the texture. I have no problem getting bite thru skin. In Winter Haven last week, I brined, cooked it to 175ish without a butter bath and got hammered 45 out of 55. I will be working on taste and texture for sure before next weekend. I will be in Tampa and Haines City so I’ll take you up your offer…see you next weekend.

i use publix thighs. brined and sauce at at 180. 10 min of setting sauce not really sure of the internal then. maybe 185. usually score good in chicken. are you bone in or out " makes a differance when brining and temp. i will also be in tampa. you can get a sample of mine as well.

190, and I get it there pretty quickly. 30 - 35 minutes. Sam's or Smart Chicken.

bell and evans, smokin guns, BH, internal of 190 so it is soft and you could pull it. dont pull but it will have the texture of pulled pork

jimmy don't know chicken, but Fatback Joe does. And his is the best i've ever had!

Costco thighs, and 185-190ish internal. Drum is rolling around 300 when I do them too. They cook fast.

It depends on what you temps you cook at. Using my Klose offset I would take it up to near 200, and it would get there in 25 minutes on the hottest rack. If I try that on the cooler FEC, I get dry chicken, so I go to 170 taking over an hour to get there to get similiar results.

You have to play with it, it took me about 6 months to get it right when I switched cookers.

I do mine on a Traeger at 225, bath, seal and waterfall sauce set. I have found the Safeway fresh never frozen thighs do very well.

i will also be in tampa. you can get a sample of mine as well.
Thanks Roger.

Bover, I just started cooking them on a drum areound 275-300. How long does it usually take to get to those temps?

I have been cooking bone-in publix chicken and probably not cooking it long enough.

what if i told you i do not temp my chicken, and that it hasn't made much of a difference where i bought them. does that help at all?

We use Smart Chicken but don't temp the thighs now. When we first started cooking our current method we temped but now just go by time. Our temps were around 180 to 190 when we did check.

A lot about temp, not much about the Holy Grail...tender skin!

Back