What equipment is truly needed...

nitelightboy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For a take and go BBQ joint? Aside from a smoker of course :p Just trying to get ideas on what's really important to have so I can work on the business plan some more.

Steam tables, grills, etc....

If you're going to keep it very simple:

- 6 burner commercial stove with oven
- At least two holding units (I prefer Metros to steam tables as they are much easier to maintain & portable if you want to take the show outside) We use one for hot sides & one for meat
- At least 3 commercial fridges (one for raw meat, one for cooked meat, one for other stuff) The bigger the better (you'll always be out of room). If you can afford a walk-in cooler - that's the ticket!
- A freezer. We run with a 7.8 cu ft but we're only using it for frozen corn, bread overstock & home made ice cream. I avoid freezing meat if possible.
- Stainless steel prep sink, hand sink & 3 bin dish sink. These have to be separate items in most HD requirements
- Lots of shelving. You'll always be out of room.
- 4 4' to 6' stainless steel prep tables. Make at least one a designated "raw meat" table to prevent cross contamination
- Stainless steel full trays & half trays. Again - as many as you can afford - you'll always be running out when you need them most.
- Cash register (get something from Sam's Club/Costco)
- Computer for book keeping & marketing
- Knives, bowls, cutting boards, serving spoons, sundry kitchen ware

We skipped the grill & fryer. If it can't be cooked in the smoker, oven or stove top, it's not a the menu. By leaving out the grill & fryer - in most cases you'll eliminate the need for a very expensive fire suppression system. You may also be able to get away with a much cheaper vent system as well (depends on your fire code).

And around how much would a package like this run me? Round about total?

From the research I've been doing, there's quite a price range. It depends on if you're going with new (recommended for refrigeration) or if you can get good deals on used equipment. I've been watching CL and keeping an eye out for restaurants closing their doors, but haven't moved on anything yet.

Back