14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain MOD

Do I need a door?

• Total voters
J

john moczynski

Since Weber is not making the WSM 14.5" I bought two Smokey Joes and used the bottom of each to make a Mini Smokey Mountain. Most of the parts are from Amazon, Hardware Stores, and Grill Store. The aluminum I rapped around the 36qt aluminum pot was from the welding section of farm and fleet, farm supply store here in Wisconsin. Bent the aluminum for the handle. Used the extra legs for support. Steam basket for coal holder. Dog bowl for water pan. Haven't used it yet. still deciding if I done or not. Wanted to make a door but don't think I need it.

Attachments

• DPP_0001.jpg
    DPP_0001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 338
  • DPP_0002.jpg
    DPP_0002.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 331
  • DPP_0003.JPG
    DPP_0003.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DPP_0004.jpg
    DPP_0004.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DPP_0005.jpg
    DPP_0005.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DPP_0007.JPG
    DPP_0007.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 330
  • DPP_0008.JPG
    DPP_0008.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 328
  • DPP_0009.JPG
    DPP_0009.JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 334
  • DPP_0010.JPG
    DPP_0010.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 337
  • DPP_0011.JPG
    DPP_0011.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 336
Sort of taking my time. Trying to make sure its as good as I can make it. Found a better water pan at Marshal"s for 3.50$ fits like a glove.

So whaddya doing with the lids from the 2 Smokey Joe Golds?

Kinda overkill to me? What is the rationale of the side vents on the dome lid?

I ain't feelin' it, but its your cooker, just trying to understand it. Just when you think you've seen it all...

Overkill most likely.

I was watching a tamale steamer weber mod on you tube and the guy had know control of the temp. He was cooking at 320 degrees wich is to high for me. there was a lot of smoke excaping from the lid so I thought useing a gasket with a flat ridge like my 22" WSM would help on the seal. I also thought useing a bottom as a lid would give me more cooking room wich is in short supply with a 14.5" smoker. But mostly I thought it would just look cool.

As for the poll question, you don't need a side door. It's just too simple to lift the pot off the base, add charcoal if needed, and replace the pot onto the base.

I just used a 32 quart tamale pot with my Smokey Joe Silver; the Smokey Joe lid fits the tamale pot perfectly. It seems like you did a lot of extra work, but I'm sure it will cook great. I would suggest putting a thermometer in the side of the aluminum pot at grate level.

I built my Mini about a month ago and I absolutely love it! It will do a solid 8 hours (probably more, I just haven't tested it yet) on one full load.

The door wouldn't be useful for me, as I can just lift the entire cooking chamber off of the grill and tend to the coals if need be. I really don't lose as much heat as you would think as long as I set the pot on a solid surface (which is the just the aluminum top that the steamer pot came with). And, it seems to recover fast.

Good looking build! You're going to love it!:thumb:

Back