View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #6311
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfrancis78 View Post
1. I would like to have two racks. If I use a diffuser plate/water pan can I accomplish this without using a Weber lid mod? The reason I ask is the bottom rack would be closer than 24" to the box. I would cook without the diffuser when making smaller quantities, but would like the option for larger parties.
It'll work just fine. My grates are 6" and 12" from the top of the drum. Diffuser is about 5" under the second grate. Temps are relatively even and have been producing great food with it.

Quote:
2. With the Weber lid mod, does anyone have issues with grease running down the barrel. I have 22" weber kettle and was thinking about using the lid. If I bolted the bottom of the kettle to the drum would this eliminate the grease. Could I just use high temp caulk to seal where the bottom kettle met the drum? I was planning on using the bolts to hold my top rack?
Grease is natural and won't hurt anything if you clean it out once in a while

Quote:
3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?
I can't weld either, but came up with a great single intake design that works very well for me. Here's a link to a detailed blog of the build:

http://reddhotpoker.blogspot.com/