How long for a 17.5lb Butt?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My girlfriend wanted to do me a favor today by picking up the meat for my next smoke. She came across a 17.5 lb Butt at a local meat shop and sent me a photo of it via her phone. I told her not to buy it... I was afraid of how long it would take to cook it...

Any ideas how long it would take to smoke a butt that size?

Or a whole shoulder? 17.5 lbs sounds way to big. The average big ones run closer to 10 lbs from my experience.

Dunno... you guys tell me... here's the photo she sent me...

bigbutt.jpg

OK... I had no idea from the photo looking at it on my phone at work. I probably should have had her pick it up then... They were on sale until TODAY... lol

No use in firin' up the Que unless you can fill'er up... mmmm.... Leftovers!! Pulled pork freezes well and is real handy when you just don't know what to have for dinner, or unexpected company shows up. Gota be the most versatile Que there is. Cheers!!!

If it's two 8.5 ish lb. butts, then I'd say you scored for that price.

Drop 'em on the smoker and post pics:thumb:

Lots of places sell 2 boston butts in a cryovac package and list just one weight.
Even if it was one butt.......never seen one that big..........you can always cut them down and even slice them in half to smoke in less time.
More meat exposed to heat/smoke and rub, it is a win win situation.

Back