• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Adding propane burner to offset

KBird

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'd like to add a propane burner inside the firebox of my offset smoker. Has anyone here done that, and what parts did you use? Just looking to get the fire up and going faster, and I would rather build in a burner instead of using a weed burner setup.:help:

Of course this requires drilling a hole in your fire box

http://www.tejassmokers.com/options.htm

j_2040_loglighter_&_hose.jpg

You can add a turkey fryer burner on side of the fire box at grate level, and weld a shroud around it to keep the ashes out of it. I think Gator uses that method.

I've got 2 Klose cookers (one mobile unit, one small BYC) both with propane assist. It's ok. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. I can start a fire just as well with a chimney full of charcoal, so all that equipment saves me ... 10 minutes per cook? Maybe. In the offsets I've got, I can just open wide the door to the firebox and it's plenty to ignite new logs or coals.

Almost everyone I've met that have the starter never use it. Unless you're going to go all out and do gas assist, it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.

I have an auxillary burner for my Kingfisher. It's a real high BTU "T" shaped burner but not for lighting assist. I used to use it to pre-heat all that steel and the water tank while getting setup. Lately I've been using my brush burner to light the charcoal and splits while putting heat for pre-heating into the main chamber. A lighting assist burner would be interesting but my firebox wouldn't have room for it in order to keep it from staying clogged up with ash.
Good luck!

My Cimmaron came with a log lighter like the one BillywannaQ is showing.
I use it just about every time to get the coals going.
The tank hangs from the bottom of the smoker on hooks and last over a year.
Sorry about the size of the picture:

picture.php

Thanks for all the responses! Now I just have to put my thinking cap on.:grin:

Back