Coleslaw question

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am catering a small party at my office tomorrow and have to make enough coleslaw to feed 15-20 people. Can I make it in advance tonight or will it be too wilted or nasty? I usually make it the same day it is to be served with no problems but wanted to double check.

Thanks Rob

I almost always put the slaw together a day ahead, never had any problems. In fact, I think it lets the flavors blend better.

Looks like I am in the minority here, but I would suggest keeping the shredded cabbage, carrots or whatever separate from the pre-mixed dressing until about 30 minutes before you serve it. It is very quick to stir in and keeps the slaw crisp.

Looks like I am in the minority here, but I would suggest keeping the shredded cabbage, carrots or whatever separate from the pre-mixed dressing until about 30 minutes before you serve it. It is very quick to stir in and keeps the slaw crisp.

I'm the same way - to the T. Made a batch sunday for dinner and had some of the leftovers last night. Too wilted IMO.

I'm with TK and Jim - mix the dressing today so the flavors get a chance to marry, but don't dress the slaw until just before serving.

Good idea Jim, I will make the dressing tonight and toss tomorrow.
I'm the same way - to the T. Made a batch sunday for dinner and had some of the leftovers last night. Too wilted IMO.
This is what I have experienced myself and wanted to avoid.

Thanks for the input everyone.

If you use a lot of vinegar you can get by with making the slaw a day in advance. If not then do as you say you want to and dress it just before serving. Cabbage will begin to deteriorate and get very strong tasting when "married" with mayo overnight. Carrots are even worse.

We use a vinegar based slaw and it is better the second day. We have been trying to recreate the slaw served in SE Kansas. Bartos Chicken & Chicken Annies serve a great vinegar based sauce. If anyone has the recipe it would be greatly appreciated.

you can always have it shredded and all ingredients cept wet ones in seperate jug

We use a vinegar based slaw and it is better the second day. We have been trying to recreate the slaw served in SE Kansas. Bartos Chicken & Chicken Annies serve a great vinegar based sauce. If anyone has the recipe it would be greatly appreciated.

Yep - My vinegar based slaw is fine the next day. I typically have the container sitting in the refrigerator so that the liquid can drain off to one side. I periodically flip the container and remix everything.

I always use mayonnaise based slaw dressing so my recommendation is based on that fact. My dressing is mayo, sweet pickle juice and vinegar for what ever that is worth to this discussion.

Guess I am going to have to break down and try a vinegar based dressing at least once. :biggrin:

I always use mayonnaise based slaw dressing so my recommendation is based on that fact. My dressing is mayo, sweet pickle juice and vinegar for what ever that is worth to this discussion.

Guess I am going to have to break down and try a vinegar based dressing at least once. :biggrin:

Try this:

8 cups cabbage (about one head)
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 TBS sesame seeds that you toast until fragrent
1 cup white vinegar
1cup sugar
2 TBS garlic salt
juice one lemon
fresh ground black pepper to taste

combine all ingredients and refrigerate

Try this:

8 cups cabbage (about one head)
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 TBS sesame seeds that you toast until fragrent
1 cup white vinegar
1cup sugar
2 TBS garlic salt
juice one lemon
fresh ground black pepper to taste

combine all ingredients and refrigerate

That sounds like it would be quite good, especially with pulled pork. Gonna try it soon. Thanks.

Our recipe uses mayo and lemon juice. It is better if it sits in the fridge for a couple hours before you serve it, but it does become a bit wilty if it sits too long.

That sounds like it would be quite good, especially with pulled pork. Gonna try it soon. Thanks.

That's what I serve it with :wink:

DSC01187-1.jpg

I use a mandollin to slice the cabbage pretty thin

Back