Okay... score this

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Found this chicken box in my archives. This was from 2006.

Attachments

• statefair 003 (Medium).jpg
    statefair 003 (Medium).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 240
I'd say borderline 7 or 8.

At a quick glance, first thing that catches my eye is the asymmetry. I'm inclined to mark down to 7 because of that.

More importantly, the wing says "look at me, I'm burned." As much as I LOVE wings, the burned tip calls attention to how dark the box looks. I probably would mark it an 8 had the wing been left out, or if the burned tip disjointed from the rest of the wing.

Last edited:
Todd -
I'd give it a 7 because of the burnt wing & size/color variations of the thighs. Mixing up the different pieces is a tough act to pull off, but I think that you almost made it work.
How did it actually score?

Amazing what you learn in a year?????? :cool:

I'd give it an 8. I like BBQ chicken that looks like BBQ chicken.:rolleyes: The box looking off balance caused me to mark down to 8 from 9.

Wow there is a lot going on there. I would say 7-8 as I like the coloring for the most part, the wing tip is iffy, and it didn't look like a lot of thought was put in to what was being put in the box.
It probably scored a 9, but do tell.

7 for me I am sure if I had some to eat it would be a 9 on taste as that looks pretty good. Very nice. I am looking at this again I might give it a 8 Yep and 8 glad I had not marked my score card yet.

That box placed second out of 54 teams at the MO State Fair in 2006.

Smoked with hickory to start and apple to finish on the Weber. Sad about the wing tip. True. But I wish I could get my chicken looking like that again.

BEAUTIFULL color!!! The greens are perfect, there but not intrusive. I would be one pissed off judge if I didn't get that wing. The burnt tip is just a pinch bothersome, nobody eats it though and it just gets twisted off and pitched.
I would argue with myself about a 9 but pry would end up as a very strong 8.
I asked around Sat with other judges about a box full of wings and only one guy was against the thought.
ModelMaker

6-7 because of all the above stated observations, do you remember how this batch of chicken tasted? If it was real tasty just work on the the coloring,eliminating wing and some of the greens.

I love the color and the chicken looks great but the box is a little jumbled to me so I would say 8.

7-8 I'm not sure why you'd add a wing; it's going to be tough to not have it be less good than the thighs and legs.

I'd say 7, maybe 8. color looks great but seams a bit off putting with the different pieces in the box.

The deal with this comp (non-sanctioned, state championship) was that they wanted both white and dark meat enough for each judge. The wing fit perfectly where it is. It was like a puzzle. Not much else you can do with that space between the breast and the leg.

Personally, I like that all parts of the chicken are represented. Not enough for each judge, but it is a whole bird, not just thighs.

I like the looks of that chicken! It is not hidden under a thick layer of sauce. The only negative is the burnt wing tip. I might try cooking two of the three segments of the wing. (Throw away the tip before cooking.)

Scott

I like the looks of that chicken! It is not hidden under a thick layer of sauce. The only negative is the burnt wing tip. I might try cooking two of the three segments of the wing. (Throw away the tip before cooking.)

Scott

I used to cook the middle section of the wings and include them. The drummy is usually tough.

Being a judge, I'd say 8 for sure could of been 9 if I didn't see the burnt wing. I think your on to something very catchy to the eye!

Nice looking chicken. I think you would have scored better if you had cut away that wing tip.

Back