View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default BBQ Feast for Dad's B-Day......Butt, Beans and Slaw!!

So when I asked my Dad what he wanted to eat for his birthday, whether he wanted to go out for dinner or to come out to the house, he said, "Well.....I've been thinking about BBQ lately. Pulled pork?"

So pulled pork it was! Went to the local butcher and nabbed a cryovac of butts. A close friend paid me for one of them since I offered to throw something on since I was cooking anyway. Last night made up a batch of my favorite "Memphis Mustard Cole Slaw" and let it sit in the fridge overnight to "get happy".

Here's the tag for the butts:

Rubbed with John Henry's Pecan Rub (sent to me on a trade from Brother Frognot.....THANKS AGAIN!!

Rubbed and ready....

And on the UDS, fat cap down (first time for this as I'm usually a "fat cap up" guy) at 4 am on the DOT!

Today after Mass, I got home and started working on my very special own recipe of "Wampus's Smoked Peach Bourbon Baked Beans" (recipe to follow soon when I get it down). Soaked some pintos overnight....

Mixed up the goods after some other necessary prep....

And then on the smoker. Here's what the butts looked like at that time (about 9 hours in).....

After smoking for 4 hours, here's what the beans looked like after coming off......

At 13 hours, the butts were finally probe tender (at about 195 IT).

Rested while I made up some of my (and my oldest son's) favorite Carolina Mustard Vinegar Sauce and finally pulled.....

And plated with some salad, slaw and beans.....

I have to say......I've NEVER tried and create my own recipe for ANYTHING. After much research and reading many a recipe, I created my own as a hybrid of about 3 different recipes and added some of my own "twists". I cannot be happier with the taste of these beans. The only fault I can give them is that the beans weren't quite soft enough. I've never cooked dried beans from scratch before, so I think I need to do something different. When I figure out what that is, I'll post the recipe for all of you to "test" for me to see what you think. Personally I LOVED the taste, and I'm not a great fan of baked beans.

ANYWAY......my table-mate liked 'em.....

Just need a little tweaking.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Thanks from:--->