View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
CraftWerks-RC
Got Wood.

Default My First UDS Build...

I have been wanting to build a UDS for awhile now but just never had the time as other projects kept getting in the way. after collecting all the parts and supplies I needed, I finally made the time to start my build. I wanted to keep it simple and not stray from the basics that I learned from the great UDS threads here. Although I did (as I always do) ended up doing a few things different along the way as the work started, I think it turned out pretty good....

This is what I started with:

Then picked up this weber with some extras from CL for CHEAP!

The drum was bought new and painted before I got it, So I had to get busy with the wire wheel on the inside.

I Ended up scoring another Weber Kettle (freebie!) and decided to use that one for this project as it was blue and I wanted to keep the black Weber. My kettle lid did not fit my barrel very well so I had to figure out how to mount it. Well one thing led to another and I tried using the bottom to the weber kettle and liked the way it looked with the extra headroom, and the vents being dead center on the top.

I decided this was going to be my lid and this is how I made it work:

I cut the nubz off the dome and went a little deep to get rid of some rust, so I used some JB weld to smooth/fill the area.

The bottom of the lid is damm heavy, so I had the idea of hinging it....In the end it turned out awesome and was totally worth it, but it added A LOT of time to my build.

I started by using the handle already on the kettle and welding on a 4" metal hinge...

It took on a life of its own after this as I continued to build as needed.

I call it "FrankenHinge".

I built in a stop to hold the lid open as well.

Time to burn it out!

" title="Smoker Build :: 80e806f5.mp4 video by CRAFTWERKS-RC - Photobucket" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Smoker Build :: 80e806f5.mp4 video by CRAFTWERKS-RC - Photobucket

After the burn the outside got sanded and then a good cleaning.

Then I painted her with some Duplicolor gloss black engine paint.

There was a 3/8" gap that need to be sealed between the ring for the lid and the drum so I used some stove gasket to keep it leak free. I finished this with black high temp RTV, oiled up the rim of the lid and closed it tight for a couple days so the RTV would form a nice tight seal around the lid. The outcome was better then I expected before I started... The lid closes and seals perfectly!

DONE!!!

Thanks for looking!
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->