KCBS Involvement

Not a guess per se. I just hope it's someone that has experience promoting BBQ and comps. So, prominent organizers that have an "in" with major sponsors, someone who has a motor to go get things accomplished. The BOD and KCBS as a whole has been very reactionary over the years, and we need a proactive person to go out, bang the drum, and get people excited again.

Scottie-Johnson-CancerSucksChicago.jpg

:rofl:

I was hoping for this, but like the new hire as well.

Hopefully her head won't explode,the first week on the job! KCBS is a different animal. I like what I've heard about her from people that know her, and I think her background is suited to the task she has.

Who is it?
I don't do Facebook and don't see anything on the KCBS web site.

Emily Detwiler. Formerly with Smithfield.

EDIT:Anyone that wants to check out the announcement with Greg Rempe can see it on the KCBS Facebook page without having a Facebook account or having to log in.

Who is it?

The new CEO is Emily Detwiler. She was most recently in charge of marketing and several other things with Smithfield. She helped create the Smithfield grant programs and the Smoking' With Smithfield campaign, as well as responsible for the sponsorship program in NASCAR.

While I agree with many that I am not a fan of all the secretive stuff that seems to go on, I do think that this person has a chance to be really good for KCBS. She has a strong background in marketing, branding, working with other companies on a large scale, etc. It will be interesting to see what her vision for KCBS looks like.

Well, I got what I wanted. Someone with history of promoting BBQ and comp BBQ, and with a bonus of having worked/for large companies and seeing how to navigate a large organization that can't be as nimble as a smaller one. These ships take a while to turn, and she'll have my support for a while before I begin judging her performance.

It does look like they have a very well qualified person, that has a good reputation. I wish her well in the new job!

"It will be interesting to see what her vision for KCBS looks like."

If'n I was a bettin man, I would bet that her vision will look very much like the Chief Executive Owners vision.

Look at me "quoting my own quote, a first for me!)

I wish to change my mind about the new kid. My first reaction was based on lack of faith due mostly to all the secrecy behind closed door carrying on crap causes me to think only in dark terms.
I will close my mouth (fingers) and open my eyes and ears and give this gal her chance.
Peace out man.
Ed

Does anyone know how the Board sees the CEO role working within KCBS?

In for profit corporations the board votes on high level (major capital expenditures, hiring executives and organization altering decisions) but leaves the running of the organization to the CEO, for the most part a company's board goes along with the CEO's ideas until they don't work and then the CEO gets replaced. KCBS has always seemed like an organization ran by the board of directors. Are the directors willing to cede control to a new CEO? Will the members of KCBS accept a situation where the folks they vote for (the board) are not making the decisions? Will the CEO be able to put forward a slate of candidates for the board that she can work with in the future?

This seems like a good hire but unless the board gets out of the way and lets her run the organization the way she sees fit success seems very difficult.

Does anyone know how the Board sees the CEO role working within KCBS?

In for profit corporations the board votes on high level (major capital expenditures, hiring executives and organization altering decisions) but leaves the running of the organization to the CEO, for the most part a company's board goes along with the CEO's ideas until they don't work and then the CEO gets replaced. KCBS has always seemed like an organization ran by the board of directors. Are the directors willing to cede control to a new CEO? Will the members of KCBS accept a situation where the folks they vote for (the board) are not making the decisions? Will the CEO be able to put forward a slate of candidates for the board that she can work with in the future?

This seems like a good hire but unless the board gets out of the way and lets her run the organization the way she sees fit success seems very difficult.

I expect the CEO to have a pretty broad mandate with an emphasis placed on tasks originating from the board. Get the building sold, make sure policy set by the board is being followed, etc.

The CEO position will have the authority and responsibility bestowed by the board. What membership will tolerate is an interesting question. In general membership gets riled, bumps their collective gums for a week or two and then drifts away until they hear another rumor to become outraged about.

Congrats to the KCBS BOD on making a move to improve things moving forward. There is potential in the brand to have a better presence and focus. Emily has a corporate track-record that should translate well to a membership organization. Hopefully issues will be dealt with in order of importance and not everything at once. Onward and upward.

Im optimistic. Cant be worse than the last couple years. Something drastic needed to happen. Im just surprised that in KCBS fashion, she isn't still employed by Smithfield.

Great pick for CEO. Hopefully we get rid of Bowman doing the marketing now.

Found this interesting...

"An organizer has asked about having t-shirts printed with Kansas City BBQ Society name on shirt with the contest. The committee all agreed that KCBS should not be listed on the shirt as this could imply that the contest had a role or position in KCBS."

So, a contest follows KCBS standards, brings in reps etc...but..it can't use KCBS in it's branding????

Found this interesting...

"An organizer has asked about having t-shirts printed with Kansas City BBQ Society name on shirt with the contest. The committee all agreed that KCBS should not be listed on the shirt as this could imply that the contest had a role or position in KCBS."

So, a contest follows KCBS standards, brings in reps etc...but..it can't use KCBS in it's branding????

We deal with this all the time at work. The way the legal system is now companies are scared of putting their name on anything for fear of some sort of lawsuit. (My company, based in Memphis, pulled out of MIM for this reason)

Very frustrating from a business and BBQ perspective. Thought this was about the "fun of BBQ" not fear of lawsuits.

We deal with this all the time at work. The way the legal system is now companies are scared of putting their name on anything for fear of some sort of lawsuit. (My company, based in Memphis, pulled out of MIM for this reason)

Very frustrating from a business and BBQ perspective. Thought this was about the "fun of BBQ" not fear of lawsuits.
If this is the case, where does it stop? I got trophies last weekend with the KCBS logo on them. Is that not going to be allowed also?

Back