Choosing frozen shrimp

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The last couple of shrimp purchases we have made have not been at all good. Mushy and tasteless. So, with a Throwdown going on, I thought it would be a good time to ask.
Shell on or off? Cooked or raw? As far as we live from the sea, fresh frozen is the best we can expect. Everything I've seen for a while is imported.
What say the experts?

Fresh and raw are best. I like the ez peel where the shell is still on but its split down the back and already deveined.

I have had decent success with the pre frozen raw bags at Costco for a pinch and I keep a bag in the freezer. However I think the larger shrimp do better in this form than the smaller ones with less of an impact on texture.

America's test kitchen did a segment on shrimp a while back, and basically if you're not buying directly off the boat, the frozen bagged shrimp is the best, because they're frozen on the boat and kept frozen until you thaw them. My preference is the bigger ones, shell on, and wild caught, not farmed.

The freezing process crystallizes moisture in the shrimp's body and explodes cells, etc. leading to flavor loss. This is inevitable in the freezing process. You can minimize the flavor loss by buying the frozen shrimp in as whole a condition as you can. My preference would be whole, not de-veined with head on.

Having said that, even those of us fortunate enough to have access to fresh still by frozen from time to time for convenience. Trade-offs.

I'm lucky enough to be able to buy fresh raw shrimp 20 minutes outa the water.
I have gotten frozen before, but it just doesn't compare. I would buy raw frozen shell on. But the key is to get them de-veined first! Not only is it a PITA to do, but nasty to boot!

Read the label & buy domestic. Get them large & as whole as possible...raw, uncooked. I feel you'll have a better chance of getting decent flavor.

Heading, shelling, and de-veining doesn't bother me...we do a couple hundred pounds a week on average around here.

As a side note...anyone ever seen blue shrimp?

Last edited:
I'm in the raw, frozen, shell on boat as well. Occasionally I can find frozen Texas Gulf shrimp.

frozen, raw, shell on wild caught. Keep in mind that gulf shrimpers stay out on the water for a long time. They freeze their catch on the boat, so pretty much all gulf shrimp has been frozen by the time it gets to the dock.

Hit your local Meijer store. They often have Argentinian red shrimp on sale. I get the shell on then shell and devein them myself. The reds stay firm and accept seasoning really well.

How do you defrost them, did you set them in a water bowl, maybe to long.
I get frozen shrimp from big y defrost them in the bag and they are not 1/2 bad.

If you have to buy frozen, the best would be non imported whole fresh shrimp, preferably fresh as possible from the Gulf here. My only further suggestion is to not get the IQF (instant quick freeze) shrimp from the boats that stay out for a while. They quick freeze them and are aggravating to peel, and my opinion is they lose texture and taste in that process. You can tell those by the eyes missing if they are head on shrimp.

I buy white shrimp when the boats are running in the gulf. If you want I'll give you a link to who I use. Keep in mind these are a 5# frozen block, I semi thaw them and divide up into smaller bags.

Does anyone look at the country of origin when buying shrimp, scallops, or other shellfish? I worry about pollution where much of my available shellfish comes from, so I strongly prefer products that come from US fishing grounds.

US wild caught only. I saw a farm raised shrimp video from I believe it was Malaysia or Cambodia. They farm raise the shrimp in the sewage ponds while adding tons of antibiotics! Haven't eaten any farm raised seafood since.

Hit your local Meijer store. They often have Argentinian red shrimp on sale. I get the shell on then shell and devein them myself. The reds stay firm and accept seasoning really well.

Not to mention they taste like lobster! Best shrimp, always frozen on boat, and the fishery is sustainably managed (as I understand it).

I was in Krogers and Meijers, and checked the label of everything they carried. Mostly Asian, pond raised, and heavily processed. Nothing from The US.:sad:
Raw, frozen from South America seems to be the closest I can get.
Thank's for the offer, Norm, I'd need to get a new freezer if I bought that many.
For the moment, the Argentinian red shrimp sound like the best bet.
As an aside, I did a search for local seafood suppliers online, there is someone selling out of the back of a truck today from 12 to 5 PM. at the local American Legion parking lot.:shock:

Not to mention they taste like lobster! Best shrimp, always frozen on boat, and the fishery is sustainably managed (as I understand it).

They are also known as Royal Reds. They are harvested from deep water (around 1000 FSW) They are also harvested here in the Gulf and I believe the Atlantic as well. If you have ever made Emeril's "BBQ" shrimp, you need to have fresh, heads on. We usually get the Georgia Whites or Key West pinks. BTW, you have to make his homemade worcestershire sauce for the dish. Dang that stuff is good!:thumb:

Agreed, unless you're getting them right off the boat frozen raw is best.
US only, wild. We like the Jumbo Pinks from Publix when we can't get to the docks for the fresh ones. Always keep a bag in the freezer. They thaw fast, just dump them in the sink, rinse them with cool water and let them sit for 10 minutes and you can work with them.

Back