I learned by pure accident that the long hold seems to work magic. So now it is part of my cooking plan and does allow for a larger window of "opportunity" to get it right. It does seem that some guests expect to actually get a glimpse of the beast on the cooker but unless they get there really early, that doesn't work so good for timing.

Yup, butts and briskets are pretty much done by the time anyone shows up. I do try to slice brisket from the whole thing at the table. Having a cutting station adds a little back to the show and it serves best sliced fresh. For butts i like to just dole out chunks and guests can tear apart, chop, or sauce how they like
If theres a crowd theres almost always a rack of ribs and some apps on the cooker so at least got something on it.

I like it Steve, do what fits for you. What a difference with the black and mahogany version. :shock: but hey some "like" their black bark.

Thats the point. This fits me perfect. I stay up til 1-3 and get start stirring by 7. I so much prefer wood that id rather cook for a few hours in the offset then finish in an oven then burn charcoal all night. Just my preference. It makes the whole process natural and stress free.

This is a great method, thanks for the explanation. I will keep this in mind for the next brisket I cook.

Do you do the same for butts?

Very nicely done, and I'm a big fan of the idea of folks doing what fits best for them - makes a huge amount of sense!

Do you notice any diminished smoke flavor or can you tell the difference from one smoked the entire time on an offset?

Do you notice any diminished smoke flavor or can you tell the difference from one smoked the entire time on an offset?

I'd say it's good. Not the smokiest brisket on the world. The smoke flavor is a subtle byproduct of the wood burning procces. I believe its best when its noticeable but doesn't stand out.

20160618_165410_zpscu7qxa2j.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have developed a method utilizing my oven for a long hold and then into a cooler for an even longer rest. Seems to work well.

Can't wait to try butcher paper soon when I get mine the Cheez ordered for me.

I'd say it's good. Not the smokiest brisket on the world. The smoke flavor is a subtle byproduct of the wood burning procces. I believe its best when its noticeable but doesn't stand out.

I think it's impossible to get too much smoke on a brisket. Beef just doesn't seem to take smoke like pork / chicken. I like heavy smoke myself.

Jam you will notice many people striving for a less smoky fire to prevent overdoing it. 5 hours on a stick burner put's enough smoke into meat for most of us.

16472973_10212272084186162_3231207305067851600_n.jpgI am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

16299250_10212272084146161_1602038946160729520_n.jpg

I have a roaster outside that is dedicated to briskets. I can have four. But one stays on a table and I just bring in the pan and lid part when done. I secretly call it the "big lie" and when people come over, its there; offering its peppery smell and turned down to 170 or so - maybe lower. I don't tell them its been in there since the morning (I typically do overnights and cook really low (like 200) or early mornings and a bit higher 230 until it close then a 180 or lower ride in. Remember you are cooking the meat.
And I typically fire up the UDS low or with the PBC - small fire and low for the cooking of sausage or what-nots when the guests arrive. By the way... some of my best chicken is pulled at 140 (knuckle still bound) and plopped in a 160=170 roaster for a long, tender ride up. This is a Papa;s BBQ trick.

But back to briskets - You can also smoke to color, vac, freeze - thaw unwrap and throw in the roaster overnight. This takes forever so its an overnight strategy. On roasters generally, unless elevating on a substantive rack keep the fat STILL down.

A lot of this started when I stored my stick burner and started in on the UDS and PBC. On the UDS (and remember my UDS burns 21 hours) I was too cheap to use the rest of the coals so on the roaster it went. no bbq smell in the kitchen either (gets old).

The PBC was simply hook... cook... drop when you have the color.

Then when I went to brisket tacos I really did this.

Part of the reason we have for slow starts is ring and smoke taste. After a bit you really don't take on much more. Then a fast ride to that all encompassing, fat rendering, collagen slathering point....then... slow... slow as you stay in that "nearly done" mode.

Its how long you can stay in that zone that true magic occurs.

i so loved u shared this

View attachment 138784I am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

View attachment 138785

I have a roaster outside that is dedicated to briskets. I can have four. But one stays on a table and I just bring in the pan and lid part when done. I secretly call it the "big lie" and when people come over, its there; offering its peppery smell and turned down to 170 or so - maybe lower. I don't tell them its been in there since the morning (I typically do overnights and cook really low (like 200) or early mornings and a bit higher 230 until it close then a 180 or lower ride in. Remember you are cooking the meat.
And I typically fire up the UDS low or with the PBC - small fire and low for the cooking of sausage or what-nots when the guests arrive. By the way... some of my best chicken is pulled at 140 (knuckle still bound) and plopped in a 160=170 roaster for a long, tender ride up. This is a Papa;s BBQ trick.

But back to briskets - You can also smoke to color, vac, freeze - thaw unwrap and throw in the roaster overnight. This takes forever so its an overnight strategy. On roasters generally, unless elevating on a substantive rack keep the fat STILL down.

A lot of this started when I stored my stick burner and started in on the UDS and PBC. On the UDS (and remember my UDS burns 21 hours) I was too cheap to use the rest of the coals so on the roaster it went. no bbq smell in the kitchen either (gets old).

Part of the reason we have for slow starts is ring and smoke taste. After a bit you really don't take on much more. Then a fast ride to that all encompassing, fat rendering, collagen slathering point....then... slow... slow as you stay in that "nearly done" mode.

i so loved u shared this

One of the Masters speaks!!

Thank you, Donnie.

Embedded in this video is the truth. it was always there. right at 8:23 in

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epSXr7XNiiE"]Pitmaster T on Alzheimers - Foil and BBQ - YouTube[/ame]

If only they'd read between the "lines".:thumb:

Don't stop.

View attachment 138784I am glad you wrote this. A few years ago you would have gotten a little beef over the use of oven. To this I say, look; competition people do it all the way because its in the rules and their manhood. After a while we have nothing to prove.

View attachment 138785

i so loved u shared this

20161225_134709_zpsrylmwkba.jpg~original

Your big lie looks alot like my big lie. By the time company shows up the brisket has been done. Ill fire up the smoker for effect and through some chicken or sausage. No more folks waiting for lunch to finish and i didn't have to lose any sleep over it.

Interesting timing with this thread being bumped in Qtalk on the heels of the sauna girl thread (or was that the they took sauna girl away support group thread) where i leaked a tip buried by you 16 pages deep in the woodpile thread. That all coming on the heals of the mexicoid brisket thead in which you used "the big lie" in that process. It seems the circle is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back