• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri tip on the Watchman

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Tri tip steaks from Costco with Suzie Q. This time I used lump to start the fire and a few smaller sticks of apple. Seemed to make a difference :thumb:

XFJvriEl.jpg

9IGMIOjl.jpg

I used my Smokey Joe lid to speed things up
AcLHFmRl.jpg

In general the grate was around 350-375. 420 in places :becky:
oZ01Z6Pl.jpg

J1F35m8l.jpg

E5x0Ycul.jpg

A little rare for how I like my tri tip but still really juicy and tasty with a nice wood flavor.

tst5UeAl.jpg

Really liking the Watchman so far. Only negative is there’s no way to shut her down but no biggie.

Thanks for checking in :thumb:

Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.

Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.

You’re killing me with that question bro :icon_blush:

7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud :becky:

You’re killing me with that question bro :icon_blush:

7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud :becky:

Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(

Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(

A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises :becky:

A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises :becky:

This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)

I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.

This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)

Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place :icon_shy

I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.

We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks :eusa_clap

Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place :icon_shy

We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks :eusa_clap

I do not think a true all-in-one cooker exists. There are cookers that come close, but I’ve never come across the true all in one.

But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.

I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....:thumb:

But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.

I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....:thumb:

We sure are a sick bunch, eh?? I wouldn’t have it any other way though :)

Sweet grill and nice cook. :thumb:

Dinner looks awesome K. :thumb:

Nice to see you 2 who helped nudge me up to 7 smokers checking in :thumb:

Seriously though the Watchman is pretty fun to cook on - it's a real campfire feeling and smell. I was really happy how quickly it got up to temp since my plan is to use it on weekdays. I ended up just grabbing any wood that was still burning and tossing it in my ash bucket.

It is 75# and the weight is away from your body so getting it back in the garage took some effort - kinda which there were some casters on it.

interesting cooker and nice looking grub!

Thank you sir - a few things I want to try are using cast iron instead of the grate (like a griddle) and I have a mesh basket for veggies that might fit perfectly in the opening :thumb:

Back