• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A new twist on brisket chili...

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Had a no chit moment... like "I could have had a V8" moment.

Was shopping recently to compile for a future batch of brisket chili - to be chilled and melded beautifully for the football game Sunday. After putting everything away... it hit me.

On the backside of McCormick Hot chili seasoning packet is the ingredient list:
Spices (including chili peppers and red peppers), enriched wheat flour, onion salt, and garlic.

Sitting on the counter next to it, was my shaker of Oakridge BBQ's Habanero Death Dust.
Listed were its ingredients; Raw cane sugar, sea salt, habanero chilis and other select chilies, garlic, cumin, and other spices.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

I think that batch of brisket chili better make room for the new first string starter... HDD Brisket Chili. :loco::loco::loco:

A very basic recipe just to establish a flavor profile desired with superior spices.
The below combination is on the chunky/thick side... just the way I like it.

(2) 28 oz. cans Furmano's chunky crushed tomatoes w/basil, garlic, and oregano included
(3) Tbl Oakridge BBQ's Habanero's Death Dust rub
(1) Vidalia onion - diced and sauteed
2-3 lbs. brisket; pre-smoked and chilled for melded flavors
(1) 40 oz. can Great northern beans - undrained.

20130130_143450_LLS.jpg

20130130_144958-1.jpg

20130130_145436.jpg

20130130_145638.jpg

20130130_150155.jpg

20130130_150203.jpg

Tasted the sample BEFORE the crock pot got hot... wanted to taste the combination; just to sense the seasonings before the temperature rises farther.
Am very pleased so far. The spices do appear slowly through the flavor nicely... not powerful.

Will see how the re-hydration and melding improves through time.
Looks like another winner, Mike. Thank you.

Three hours later - results from first bowl served... a very nice flavor profile.

Nothing overbearing - each aspect is clearly present on the taste-buds. The sauce is rich and wholesome. The onions are subtle and soft. The brisket is oh so lovely. The surprise was the HDD rub. There was no overwhelming punch of spice - but a slow crawl of a hint of heat hitting in the back of the throat. Not screaming hot, but a nice nudge of heat. Felt my face getting warmed up - just short of the well-known signs of beads of perspiration on the forehead. Just on the edge.

Very surprised - and happy how it turned out.

[Edit: Used the Northern beans for a better texture/density and color/contrast].

Last edited:
Love the HDD idea. I'm gonna have to give that a shot. Love those moments of clarity, I just wish they'd happen more often. :confused:

Back