Baked Ice

I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.

Attachments

• 2012-10-14_10-57-37_508.jpg
    2012-10-14_10-57-37_508.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-11-18_10-28-37_612.jpg
    2012-11-18_10-28-37_612.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 52
I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.

I'm thinking its the probe that is farking you up. You might just have to wing it or go by feel. I can't take any credit for the marbling. I think that is likely to be a different result each time. As far as water goes I just use regular tap water but it does come from Lake Superior so that might be the secret. :thumb:

Don't give up man you will get it.

That ice sphere (if I can call it that) was not worthy of a fine Kentucky Bourbon, so I dispatched it into a "Captain & Coke".
BTW, brining does not help.

Oh how I wish I could list off a whole slew of great ones that I've tried.

I've tried a few but always go back to Jim Beam Black. I'd try more but the ones that I would like to try are too expensive. I've had Buffalo Trace and thought that was pretty good and while I know its not bourbon my favorite drink outside if a great craft beer is still Jack.

I'm guessing if I could afford to try some of the top shelf stuff I'd find a few more that I like. My problem really is that I don't know if I've met a Bourbon I didn't like.

If you have never tried Russells Reserve by Wild Turkey I highly recommend it. It's a very good and a reasonabaly priced 10 year bourbon. I live in KY, have toured most of distilleries and have tried most of them. This is my go to bourbon. Just wish I could gobble and turkey hunting would be much easier.

Love the WT
However I have never had the Russel Reserve.

th

With all these ice sphere experiments I'm getting tragically low on Bourbon. I promise to give the Russells Reserve a try.

Where is this "Little Smokey Throwdown" you speak of? I looked and didnt find it:confused:

That might have been the Bourbon talking. I think it is the "Get Baked" Throwdown.

Last edited:
Back