• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how much chili?

Hard deal there. Make what you feel like making comfortably,when it is gone,it is gone.I had rather serve my best product until it is devoured than try to make a HUGE batch of mediocre chit just to please the crowd/PTA,$$$ grabbers. Then again,that is just my opinion.Good luck and use a lot of beans.Chilli ain't chilli without beans,it is just meat and pepper flavored soup.

He must have lived or spent time in Cinci. They like to add perfectly good chili to their spaghetti instead of hamburger and tomato sauce.

Yes! And it is DELICIOUS!!

5aebbca17fa325904344289c7b50eece.jpg

Meanwhile, back on topic, I'd agree with the approach of making what you can reasonably do and when it is gone it's gone. To try to pan to feed 3,000 folks without a suitably sized commercial facility sounds like a logistical nightmare. Where would you store refrigerated ingredients and finished product?

I ordered 6 packets of Skyline Cinci Chili a few years back. While it’s not what I know as chili I thought it was quite good. Spaghetti topped with Cincinnati Chili ,raw chopped onions, shredded cheddar and oyster crackers. It was a nice change. Never ordered again. But if I was in Cincinnati, I’d give it a go.

6 Pack Cincinnati Chili Mix Packets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B6O4LO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LGd1CbZB4X2H6

Last edited:
......Chilli ain't chilli without beans,it is just meat and pepper flavored soup.
No, just no.

Maybe chilli has beans, but real chili doesn't need them.
Beans are just a cheap substitute and fill-in for the proper amount of meat. :boxing:

Skyline? Just the thought of chocolate and cinnamon in chili makes me wanna heave.

Skyline? Just the thought of chocolate and cinnamon in chili makes me wanna heave.
It's actually pretty tasty except I don't consider it "chili". It has characteristics of what I deem chili but it's unique enough for me to consider it a different dish altogether.
5 Way All Day!

I've thrown some dark chocolate chips into chili before and it was actually really good. Added a whole new depth to the flavor and you couldn't pick out a chocolate taste at all. This was less than half a cup of chips into 1.5 gal of chili. Now cinnamon, on the other hand,seems a tad extreme haha

So... Back on topic :-D

I cooking chili for a school fundraiser, my award winning chili I might add, and I'm not sure how much to make.
The recipe I use is for 1.5 gallons. At the last contest I made 3 gallons which was gone in about 2.5 hours serving "tastings" for the peoples choice category (couple hundred).
This event will be much larger, probably 3000. It'll be running 11am to 6pm.
Anyone do events like this? any thoughts on amount would be great

Is this just tasting portions? A lot of the on-topic responses seem to be assuming that you will be serving full sized portions, which I don't think is the case based on your original post.

So, assuming tasting portions of 1 ounce each, you meed 3000 ounces, or approx 24 gallons.

Even that seems unrealistic. Make what you can easily transport and keep hot and serve until you run out!

I can go through 10 gallons of chili doing 1 oz tastings very quickly with just a few hundred people in attendance.

If your chili is good, you know it, because you are the first to run out. :)

Some guys from the local fire department used to make some really good chili and they wanted to enter it into a pretty big fundraiser for our high school.

They talked a school kitchen worker into helping them out and getting the district to let them use the school kitchen. Don't know how much they made but she even helped them scale up the ingredients.

Might be worth a try.

And as far as Cincinnati chili goes, in my opinion, making your own with the brand of packets posted in this thread is the way to go.

I cut down on the water so it's thicker and add a little kosher salt, cumin, chili powder and paprika to taste and only cook it for 30-40 minutes so it doesn't get dark and bitter.

Gold Star is ok but Skyline changed their recipe 15 or 20 years ago in an effort to make it healthier and again in my opinion it's not near as good as it used to be.

The best ones were the smaller mom and pop chili parlors but most of them are gone.

If you're in town and like Cincinnati chili, give Blue Ash Chilli a try.

Yep. Dixie was really good, Camp Washington too. Not a fan of Blue Ash so much. Gold Star's chili is ok but their other ingredients leave something to be desired - buns, dogs, etc.

so back to the OP - will they let you use the school kitchen? If so you might be able to pull this off for that many, but it will be a huge undertaking. I'd figure out how many big pots they have you could use for one huge batch over say four hours, and that is how much you make. When it's gone, it's gone.

Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else. Recipes change and evolve all the time. It's like saying you're not eating "real" pizza unless it is strictly Pizza Napoletana as defined by Italy's Ministry of Agriculture. Chili most likely originated in Mexico anyway lol. Just make it how YOU like it and don't try to tell everyone else how they should like it.

Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else. Recipes change and evolve all the time. It's like saying you're not eating "real" pizza unless it is strictly Pizza Napoletana as defined by Italy's Ministry of Agriculture. Chili most likely originated in Mexico anyway lol. Just make it how YOU like it and don't try to tell everyone else how they should like it.

Chili con carne actually has origins in San Antonio. Look up the chili queens. But like pizza it has gained wide appeal and a lot of different regions have put their own stamp on it. My preference is Texas style, no beans. not right or wrong. Just preference. I love chili over rice or over Fritos or over nothing at all.

As for chocolate and cinnamon? I add unsweetened chocolate to my chili. It is quite good. I do not like cinnamon in chili. But keep in mind that Mexican chocolate contains a fair amount of cinnamon so there you go.

Life is to short to get territorial. Eat what you like, how you like. But allow the other guy his point of view.

Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else....

strong words amigo

i wasnt trying to provoke anybody or push any buttons, i would have offered a similar response had someone called oven baked pork with liquid smoke "bbq."

again, didnt mean to offend or cause any panties to get bunched up.

Back