Smoker Opinions and Options

I have to say, I love my custom offset, it makes great Q, but I also have a Smoking It #3 and really like it. When the weather is nasty or really cold, I use it. You do have to becarefull not to add more than 3 little chunks of wood, or it will have that bitter burnt taste. It is a really handy smoker and is built like a tank, and puts out some good Q.

Do I start a new thread about my experience or keep this one rolling?

I received the WSM today, assembled it, and am doing a first smoke. I haven't received the chimney yet, so I had to improvise. I started with a small pile and used my mapp gas torch to start the charcoal. While it was getting going, I pam'd the inside walls of the smoker. Next I added more charcoal around the lit pile. (probably too soon as it keeps white smoking). The door had a good gap, so I ended up reforming it to help. With all lower vents closed it is maintaining 255. Strange as I would have thought the temp would drop with all lower vents closed. Keeping an eye on it for now.

I really appreciate the help.

Eddie,

If you are buying new, they should have the rubber boot to allow you to push through multiple probes. It has a single hole at the top that someone here taught me to just push my pit temp probe into. Below that is a slotted line that I push my meat temp probe and my Pitmaster IQ120 probes through if I am using them.

AG76, look at page 6 and 9 of the attached PDF. If you need any more help, let me know...

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it. I could not figure out how to put it together, and had chalked it up to a loss.

The WSM is slowly climbing up to 300. At least the heavy white smoke is dissipating, but still some. For the record I used kingsford blue and no wood. My Et-733 won't be here until tomorrow, so I don't know if the weber supplied thermometer is correct.

The WSM is slowly climbing up to 300. At least the heavy white smoke is dissipating, but still some. For the record I used kingsford blue and no wood. My Et-733 won't be here until tomorrow, so I don't know if the weber supplied thermometer is correct.

Kingsford blue is about all I use in my WSMs. It works extremely well. You can add 2 or 3 wood chunks of your favorite smoking wood, and you should be good to go.

I vote for you keeping this thread rolling instead of starting a new one because all of the people that have chimed in get email notifications for continued posts. Some may not find a new thread and will miss what happened next. I have a hard time leaving the Woodpile, it's like Hotel California there, so I'm one that would likely miss tales of your success. :oops:

This is your thread, I'd keep it rolling. Out, so can't say much more than that now, but I'll respond more later. Keep playing with her...

Planning on a whole chicken and several thighs smoke on Thursday. Should I brine the whole chicken? Planning on using some apple wood and maybe a piece of hickory for smoke and using some off the shelf McCormick Rotisserie Chicken seasoning on the whole bird. I will marinade the Thighs in Yoshida's overnight prior to smoke. Sound good?

I've read a bunch about the water pan. I am thinking of just doing the foiled saucer/pan method and skipping the water. Opinions?

Picked some fresh zucchini and yellow squash from the garden. Any tips on when to add to smoker so everything is ready to eat at the same time? I figure slice squash and wrap in AL foil with some butter/salt/pepper. Put on smoker 2 hours prior to finish. Leave squash in smoker after meat is removed and finishing in foil. Remove squash foil bundle when ready for dinner.

Thoughts?

I would brine the whole chicken. I would also spatchcock it for even cooking. I wouldn't worry about brining the thighs unless you want to keep them all the same flavor profile.

Don't know anything about that marinade. I would check the label for length of time to marinate.

I used water in my water pan one time. Helped keep temps stable, but had a hard time getting above 250* and was a pain to clean. I have the Terra Cotta (orange color, not shiny) planter base wrapped in foil sitting in my water pan that is also wrapped in foil. I even throw one of those cheap turkey roaster pans on top to make clean up easier.

For chicken, I take the pan completely out of the WSM, light a BUNCH of charcoal, and leave all vents wide open. Doing it this way, I can get 350-375*, sometimes a little higher. Chicken needs high heat to get good skin. Make sure you have TBS (clear smoke) before you put the chicken on or you will end up with chicken with skin that looks like a tire. Don't ask how I know. I usually use a small chunk or two of apple / cherry / pecan. Chicken absorbs smoke easily, so a little goes a long way. At 350* and above, chicken thighs only take 45 mins. A whole spatchcocked chicken will take longer, but I would say probably 90 mins max.

For chicken, I cook by temperature. I pull when breast meat is 160* and let it rest covered to climb to 165*. Thigh meat will probably be a little higher, but they are juicy so it's ok.

Can't help with the veggies. I usually grill those and not for very long. We prefer them more firm. Your tastes may vary.

Came out good. May have put veggies on too late, left thighs on too long, but all in all very happy.

Gonna have to find somewhere to host images.

Lessons learned:
Pull boneless/skinless thighs earlier. They are a little tough, but a good snack.
Veggies could have been put on an hour earlier. I put them on at the 2 hour mark, and let them cook longer while the full chicken was foil wrapped off of the wsm.
Wait a little longer to put meat on. I waited 45 minutes for the white smoke to settle and temp to settle, but should have waited it a bit longer. (Not that the meat is too smokey to me - waiting on wife's take on it)

On a another positive note, Amazon gave me 20% off since UPS damaged the box and there is a small dent in my WSM. Full of win!

Last edited:
OK wife said too smokey. I pulled the remnants and sauced it up for BBQ Chicken sandwiches. Perfect for that! Also, took the boneless thighs and threw then in some marinade to hopefully soften them.

Gonna they some baby backs this weekend. No doubt they will turn out great on the WSM.

OK wife said too smokey. I pulled the remnants and sauced it up for BBQ Chicken sandwiches. Perfect for that! Also, took the boneless thighs and threw then in some marinade to hopefully soften them.

Gonna they some baby backs this weekend. No doubt they will turn out great on the WSM.

It's one of those things. Chicken can be tricky for the first few times as you learn since it takes smoke so easily. You'll get it....and it'll be fun so long as you don't take it too serious.

Trust me, chicken is the hardest thing I have cooked on my WSM so far.

Not sure if you mentioned before that it was boneless skinless thighs... Or, I just missed it. Makes a difference. Don't worry, it'll get better.

Trust me, chicken is the hardest thing I have cooked on my WSM so far.

Not sure if you mentioned before that it was boneless skinless thighs... Or, I just missed it. Makes a difference. Don't worry, it'll get better.

Pretty sure I left that part out until later. Lesson learned, they take much less time.

To me, the easiest way to get "in the area" of the flavor you want is doing whole chicken. There's less surface area plus skin to control smoke absorption. The bird being whole keeps the juices better as well as the bones giving flavor.

If you mess up a little with your smoke TYPICALLY you can simply remove the skin and still have pretty good meat to enjoy. I say typically because...well....there are limits to anything.:razz::razz:

After getting the hang of whole birds and knowing what flavor you want plus having more experience with your cooker, you'll find doing legs, wings, thighs and breasts a little easier.

Hi. I'm new to this forum; but I love my WSM. Once you figure out how to use it, and make sure you put in plenty of charcoal, it comes pretty close to a set and forget. And, as stated earlier, can't beat the smoky flavor. (A little apple wood helps a great deal!)

Like THoey1963 I grill my veggies most of the time, especially zucchini, so I wouldn't have been much help. I've smoked many turkeys and liked the level of smokey flavour on them, by chance I never added wood chunks at the beginning. Don't know why, just happened that way. After I'd smoked several turkeys I read some threads in Qtalk where brothers and sisters were talking poultry and how it absorbs smoke more quickly and fully than other meats. Took my cue from that and pass on the wood chunks for a reason, now. I think a few wood chips should be fine, though, unless you're cooking for someone that does not like pronounced smoke flavour. So glad you had a great first cook, it sounded like it was. If your first cook comes out edible, you've won!! Congratulations, brother! :clap:

Back