Please Help with this question

Smokin Ribs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anybody ever cooked Pork kidneys? Kroger had them set out with all the pork butts and loins. They look like a good piece of meat but wonder how it taste and what way to cook it.
Any help would be appreciated

I haven't but I would look into making steak and kidney pie, which is popular in Britain, if I wanted to cook them.

I've never been interested since I first heard you have to soak them repeatedly and even boil them to get as much of the urine odor and flavor out as possible.

I'm sure someone has some tips and tricks though.

I too have not tried them myself.

Google.com is where I would start.

My neighbor cooks them and like "Bigabyte" says they have to be soaked and rinsed many times before you "boil the pi$$ out of them"' as my neighbor puts it.

They have a strong overpowering odor when cooking.
Just from that odor I do not think I could bring myself to taste them. I am sure we eat them in hot dogs and other sausage type products from the grocery store.

Maybe there are better ways to prepare them where the odor might be less offensive...

Just think for a bit about what their purpose is.

Matt

My neighbor cooks them and like "Bigabyte" says they have to be soaked and rinsed many times before you "boil the pi$$ out of them"' as my neighbor puts it.

They have a strong overpowering odor when cooking.
Just from that odor I do not think I could bring myself to taste them. I am sure we eat them in hot dogs and other sausage type products from the grocery store.

Maybe there are better ways to prepare them where the odor might be less offensive...

Do they smell as yummy as pork chitlings when they're cooking?:grin::grin::grin:

Then again no one said they were selling them for a "good" price:grin:

Sorry, he said "looks like a good piece of meat." I figured they had to be a good price to be asking. It is still a good question. What was the price?

Sorry, he said "looks like a good piece of meat." I figured they had to be a good price to be asking. It is still a good question. What was the price?

I don't think free would be a good enough price for me, I'll let someone else try them.

No. You can eat my share. I know a lot of people are all about certain foods being delicacies. I get it, honest. I really do. I like some of them myself. But lets be honest, I think some things people started eating out of necessity. Can anybody imagine the first hungry person who looked at a bulls nuts and thought, wow..... those look delicious. No. I think it went like this.
"Any bull left? I'm starving"
"Only those............and those things that taste like pee."

Absolutely gorgeous to eat (but then I am from across the pond!) We have them regularly, mostly with liver in a casserole. In fact we had that yesterday. Cut out the fatty bits [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8W5pTXyF0"]How to Prepare Kidneys - YouTube[/ame] Then we soak them in milk for about 4-6 hours to remove any pissy taste. Then pan fry in oil on high heat and finish in your casserole. Mmmmmmmmm.
Try leaving them in a whole hog and cooking it, then pluck them straight from it and eat (ok maybe that isn't for the squeemish but I have done that a few times and it is delicious!).
Enjoy!

Back