Contest Announcment Peak City Pig Fest, Apex, NC June 22-23, 2012

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
http://www.peakcitypigfest.com/

This a local (1st time) event, only abt 30 miles away from me. As of Thursday, there is only 5 slots open.... maximum of 30 teams.

This is the same weekend as the Greensboro, NC Sam's Club Series and only abt 80 miles apart.

There is a total of $15,750 in cash prizes.

Grand Champion $3,000 and trophy
Reserve Grand Champion $1,500 and trophy
3rd Place Overall $750 and trophy
4th Place Overall $500 and trophy
5th Place Overall $250 and trophy

KCBS Categories (Total $7,400)
(Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork, Beef Brisket)
First place through 5th place in each category
1st Place $750 and trophy
2nd Place $500 and trophy
3rd Place $300 and trophy
4th Place $200 and award
5th Place $100 and award

Anything Butt (Dessert) –
1st Place $500 and trophy
2nd Place $250 and trophy

Anything Butt (Non-Dessert) –
2nd Place $250 and trophy

The Meat House People’s Choice –
2nd Place $250 and award
3rd Place $100 and award

If you are on FaceBook, look up Peak City Pig Fest and you will find the teams listed there....

Will be coming from Pasadena to cook this one as Pelletheads.com with a couple of Pelletheads, BMerrill from North Carolina and Over Dunn from South Carolina. 1st time cooking East of the Big River! I am in charge of Chicken and Ribs, wonder how the flavor profiles will be accepted in Apex!

I am in charge of Chicken and Ribs, wonder how the flavor profiles will be accepted in Apex!

From a CBJ perspective (I applied to judge Apex, but haven't heard if accepted yet), you might want to leave the chili powder at home. I've judged a pile of comps around these here parts, and it is RARE to taste chili powder. I judged in Lake Havasu, AZ back in January and EVERYTHING (chicken and ribs) seemed to have chili powder flavor!

Just my $0.02.

Thanks Tom, it is nice to get some of the local area input. Hub, who is an OK transplant to this area of NC and is a MCBJ, and a Brethren said that the flavors that most use, well not sure exactly how he put it. But he said you are probably not going to find a lot of vinegar base sauces on the pork, like I though you might.

Chili powder on chicken and rib rubs, umh, maybe thats why I dont do well in the west. Only time I would even consider it is on Brisket, and that is not my department for this competition!

Tom, I had applied and was accepted, but I told them I might want to cook it.... which I am now... I have no idea how many applied to judge. Shoot Graham an email.... he is a great guy and I would think he would get back to you.

Bently, boil the ribs, boil the chicken, do not sauce them. The pork, well, be sure and cook to 165 and slice, brisket, do the same.... :loco:

Just kidding... come do what you do best.... hope to get the chance to get around and meet everyone.

I got an email last week, and all 30 spots are filled. So if you waited to sign up.... too late. On the website I see the application has been removed, but said you could email and be put on a standby list in case someone has to drop out.... good luck to everyone cooking there....

I got this the other day and thought I would pass along.... he is in hopes to have it posted on the website soon.... www.peakcitypigfest.com

Cook Teams-Peak City Pig Fest 2012​
Team Name Contact Hometown
1.Up In $moke Scott Ashton Durham, NC
2.Smoke-N-My-I’s Competition BBQ Bill Moon Durham, NC
3.Tarheel BBQ Ward Peacock Chapel Hill, NC
4. Chillin’ The Most BBQ Party Team Russell Gay Raleigh, NC
5. Carolina Young Guns Phillip Stevens Raleigh, NC
6. Lucky Dog Chase Goodwin Sanford, NC
7. Prime Barbecue Christopher Prieto Wendell, NC
8. Red Eye Barbecue Richard Berner Apex, NC
9. Rollin’ Smoke George Stavrekakis Apex, NC
10. Smokin Skullies Brian Corbett Goldsboro, NC
11. All Fired Up and Kicking Ash Edward Olli Latham, NY
12. Rub Da Ribs Jason Kiser Apex, NC
13. Stoke & Smoke Mike Lewis Raleigh, NC
14. Apex BBQ Chuck Piercy Apex, NC
15. Redneck Scientific Jerry L. Stephenson, Jr. Raleigh, NC
16. The Kings of Q Craig Scates Raleigh, NC
17. T-N-T BBQ Tony Godwin Chapel Hill, NC
18. RBQ Rick Billingsley Apex, NC
19. Still Smokin Burney Shook Apex, NC
20. Hot Roscoe and the Q-Review Ben Freeman Cary, NC
21. Pelletheads.com Bentley Meredith Pasadena, CA
22. Single Barrel BBQ Wil Cooper Raleigh, NC
23. Bart’s Old North State Bart Ramsey Chapel Hill, NC
24. Armed & Hammered BBQ Jonathan Walker Apex, NC
25. Pig Whistle Benjamin Lennon Chapel Hill, NC
26. Swamp Loggers David Mueller Jacksonville, NC
27. Tarheel Smokers Roy Murray Hertford, NC
28. Two Dudes and a Smoker Joe Burns Apex, NC
29. Fair Oaks Vince Pusynkski Apex, NC
30. Pharm-A-Cue Aaron Wills Durham, NC

Last edited:
I posted this as a table, but it sure didn't come out right... :crazy:

went back and did an advanced edit to try and make it easier to read.... hope that helped... it did for me. LOL

Last edited:
I cant wait! Leave this Wendsday to drive to Houston, CFS at Goodson's Cafe in Tomball Friday night with an old friend and a few Pelletheads...Then on Saturday to Lockhart to do a TX Brisket & Sausage Crawl, gonna hit Black's, Kreuz & Smitty's.

Then Sunday on to the East Coast and a month later cooking this contest with a North & South Carolina Pellethead...Life is good!

Back