Chicago Italian "Inspired" Beef sammie... I'll vote for that! :becky:
Makes my Zombie Sammie look like a TURD sitting next to yours. :shock:

Every now and then I believe the entries are consistently improving, but then when I go back to older voting threads, I see that there has always been some stiff competition. I do believe that the more Throwdowns that people enter, the better their entries get. However, not everyone has hung around the last 3 years and kept participating, so we always have new blood coming in and getting better and better.

The quality of the photo's in the throwdown threads are outstanding. The examples you posted from older throwdowns are excellent as well. Being the super throwdown noobian that I am, it really doesn't matter to me whether or not I win. My feeling about the throwdowns is the same as the way I feel about that "journey or destination" thread from a couple days ago. It's fun to go through the process of entering something into a throwdown (planning, prepping, cooking, taking pictures-which I suck at, and chirping about it). I think actually participating makes you realize what great cooks all of you are and what it takes to present such great looking food!

I plan on continuing to enter throwdowns and am looking forward to improving my photography skills as well, seeing as though I don't have a professional photographer living at my house. I've also been trying to convince my wife for a while now that we need an SLR, you know, to take pictures of the kids and all. :wink:

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I really see both sides of Al's comment. I have gone through old TD threads on MANY occasions and am always amazed by the entries. I don't think the entries are better now, but I really believe the picture quality is significantly better. It used to be that RTD and maybe one or two others had good pics and there were a lot of others, whose pics were ok, but not great. Now, there are a LOT of good pics in each TD. I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction. Before, we had to look carefully at each picture or we'd just be voting for the same couple people each time. Now we can just ignore all the sub-par pics and still have quite a few to decide between. I hope we don't get lazy and we keep considering all the entries, how they are cooked, how they might taste, and especially how they satisfy or interpret the particular throwdown topic. You will always have a certain number of voters who will vote for the prettiest picture, but I would hate this to evolve into just a simple photo contest.

As a professional photographer, I know I could just phone it in on the cook, and take my chances on a pretty picture. That's why I try to give a complete description of my cook -- as much as I can given the week's workload. I really like to post a photo that shows my entry in the best way, but I want the entry to get votes, not the photography. I took some pretty bad pictures of my food early on, thinking it wouldn't be fair for me to use what I know to take good photos. But, as a professional, it really made me cringe when I looked at those photos. So now, I just try not to go overboard, but at least take pictures I'm not ashamed of.

Anyone who votes for my entries based on a photo, without reading my description and imagining how my food tastes, is not really voting for my entry, IMO.

We all have our own personal criteria for voting. I personally look at the effort and creativity involved in an entry. On the other hand, something that looks good, but clearly didn't involve effort or creativity doesn't generally interest me as a throwdown entry. It may look and taste good, but how much of the person went into the food?

I gave bigabyte chit for his leftovers sandwich smothered with sauce from a jar -- and because he is bigabyte -- but then he turns around an earns my vote a week later with a Street Food entry that exhibits a lot of creativity and a lot of effort.

Overall, I think the throwdowns have their highs and lows. We all feel inspired one week, and struggle for a good entry the next week. As long as we are having fun, that's fine with me.

CD

This is true Gore. I think it's a little intimidating to a new entrant in competing with the quality of the photos in most of the entries. I'm not sure that line actually made sense but what I mean is, I think oldyote could take a picture of a turd and someone would vote for it. I'm just using him as an example, I think the turd reference holds true with a lot of people. CD's a professional photographer for pete's sake. If I were the one going through all the effort to organize these throwdowns, or a wily veteran like yourself it would cross my mind that this fact is keeping new people from entering. Obviously, the only solution is to make everyone take crappier pictures.

^^^ I think this says a lot. The last thing CD would want is people to vote for him because of the picture and not because of the food. I'm sure when he reads comments to that effect, it makes him cringe. It's like beating a 2nd grader at one-on-one basketball -- yeah, you won, but so what.

edit: fingerlickin' :doh: -- this was to CD's response, obviously.

And to fingerlickin', I agree and think the recent rash of great photos is discouraging to new entrants. I agree that the crappy photo requirement is one solution, but I think voters who take a bit more time, like CD says, and consider all the factors that go into an entry is another one.

Actually Gore my response was originally for you, in reference to this line "I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction." I just happened to get up from my desk (since I'm obviously working here) for a minute before I hit submit. In the meantime CD posted his comments which happened to jive with my response to you.

While all that was going on I've now decided that it is really nice of CD to dumb down all of his photos to give the rest of us a chance. :razz: How am I ever going to get my first zero like that. I couldn't have taken any worse pictures than the ones in the saucy throwdown and someone still voted for me. :doh: This zero thing may be harder than I thought.

Thanks for your contribution Landarc.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I really see both sides of Al's comment. I have gone through old TD threads on MANY occasions and am always amazed by the entries. I don't think the entries are better now, but I really believe the picture quality is significantly better. It used to be that RTD and maybe one or two others had good pics and there were a lot of others, whose pics were ok, but not great. Now, there are a LOT of good pics in each TD. I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction. Before, we had to look carefully at each picture or we'd just be voting for the same couple people each time. Now we can just ignore all the sub-par pics and still have quite a few to decide between. I hope we don't get lazy and we keep considering all the entries, how they are cooked, how they might taste, and especially how they satisfy or interpret the particular throwdown topic. You will always have a certain number of voters who will vote for the prettiest picture, but I would hate this to evolve into just a simple photo contest.

Oh, and my real name is Jason. I'm going to add that to my sig right now. It's a real pain in the arse to have to type fingerlickin' every time. I don't love my screen name either. My friends actually call me The Daddy, in fact everyone I know besides my wife and parents call me Daddy. Sometimes Big Daddy, Mac Daddy, Daddio is very popular but we already have one of those around here. A couple people call me Pimp. One guy calls me Big D*ck Daddy from Cincinnati. Seriously, I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up and I'm not from Cincinnati. Unfortunately for some reason my wife doesn't call me BDDFC though.:tsk:

The funny thing is when I first registered here on the brethren I think I may have just wanted to get into the recipe section or something. Not realizing that this forum would jump through my computer screen and grab me by the throat and never let go. So I chose my screen name rather hastily and I guess it just bothers me a bit. I'm always hesitant to tell people that but since we're brothers and all I figured what the hell. Usually when I'm introduced to someone as The Daddy by one of my friends, peoples initial reaction is WTF but by the end of the night they are calling me Daddy too. Remember back in the 90's when there were a lot of those "Who's Your Daddy" t-shirts. Yeah, it started back then. I guess I could have been given a worse nickname like porky or something so I'm not actually complaining, my screen name just bugs me. Like if I actually told one of my friends my screen name here was fingerlickin' they would probably rag me for it. Why didn't you just call yourself The Daddy dumbarse?

OK, now that I feel like an idiot and have gotten that off my chest. Feel free to rip me about any of that now.

Anyway, what's the best strategy to get a zero again?

Oh, and my real name is Jason. I'm going to add that to my sig right now. It's a real pain in the arse to have to type fingerlickin' every time. I don't love my screen name either. My friends actually call me The Daddy, in fact everyone I know besides my wife and parents call me Daddy. Sometimes Big Daddy, Mac Daddy, Daddio is very popular but we already have one of those around here. A couple people call me Pimp. One guy calls me Big D*ck Daddy from Cincinnati. Seriously, I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up and I'm not from Cincinnati. Unfortunately for some reason my wife doesn't call me BDDFC though.:tsk:

The funny thing is when I first registered here on the brethren I think I may have just wanted to get into the recipe section or something. Not realizing that this forum would jump through my computer screen and grab me by the throat and never let go. So I chose my screen name rather hastily and I guess it just bothers me a bit. I'm always hesitant to tell people that but since we're brothers and all I figured what the hell. Usually when I'm introduced to someone as The Daddy by one of my friends, peoples initial reaction is WTF but by the end of the night they are calling me Daddy too. Remember back in the 90's when there were a lot of those "Who's Your Daddy" t-shirts. Yeah, it started back then. I guess I could have been given a worse nickname like porky or something so I'm not actually complaining, my screen name just bugs me. Like if I actually told one of my friends my screen name here was fingerlickin' they would probably rag me for it. Why didn't you just call yourself The Daddy dumbarse?

OK, now that I feel like an idiot and have gotten that off my chest. Feel free to rip me about any of that now.

Anyway, what's the best strategy to get a zero again?

I'm confused. Are we supposed to call you Big D*ck fingerlickin' Daddy from Cincinnati :shocked: cuz honestly fingerlickin' is easier.

I'm confused. Are we supposed to call you Big D*ck fingerlickin' Daddy from Cincinnati :shocked: cuz honestly fingerlickin' is easier.

I figured I'd let you sort that out. I'm too tired after typing that explanation. Maybe you should call me blabberfinger' Maybe I shouldn't have suggested that. :doh:

Honestly, the talk about good photo's vs bad photos, and how hard it is to get a zero is nothing new. I'm frankly not even 100% sure it is any different today than it was three years ago.

I agree with Gore that there were fewer "great" photographers three years ago than there are today. However, we didn't see the great photographers winning all of the contests back then, and we still don't see that today. They may win more often than others, but I am still to this day posting "This is so-and-so's first appearance in the Throwdown Hall of Flame" in a lot of the announcements for the winner.

So, being able to take a great picture does give you an advantage, but obviously only a little. This makes me think that voters are still looking at more than just the quality of the photo from week to week.

In the vote threads, in the comments people post, how many times do you hear, "It was such a good photograph I had to vote for it", compared to comments indicating personal tastes about food or based on the creativity of the dish? I hear more about dishes calling to people or creativity than I hear talk about photo quality.

These discussions are good to have though, it helps to make people think about it. It can be far too easy for someone new to the Throwdowns to arrive at too quick of a judgement, and incorrectly assume that the Throwdowns are based on the best picture because, after all, what kind of food contest can you possibly have where nobody gets to taste the food? While that may seem like a logical argument, we have a huge list of winners over the last three years to prove that it does not boil down to the professional photographers. The facts say otherwise.

Just for reference purposes for this discussion, this is the list of Throwdown winners, and the number of times they have won (in descending order). We have 67 different winners out of 168 different Throwdowns.

Take a look and highlight the professional photographers, then the amateurs who have figured out how to take really good photographs, and the rest who simply take good photos, or maybe even bad photos (like myself for example). I am not seeing the top of the list dominated by professional photographers. They are clearly up there in general though. So their skills bring them a benefit, but obviously you can win based on other skills as well (or just luck taking a good photo perhaps).

Gore 14
ecode 14
Thirdeye 10
BobBrisket 8
SmokinAussie 6
Redhot 6
Ron L 5
Rick's Tropical Delight 5
R2Egg2Q 5
High Q 5
bluetang 5
Shiz-Nit 4
River City Smokehouse 4
Moose 4
caseydog 4
Will work for bbq 3
SmokeJumper 3
N8man 3
deguerre 3
Al Czervik 3
The Pickled Pig 2
Que-Dawg 2
Oldyote 2
Nature Boy 2
MadCityJim 2
landarc 2
Jonny Rotisserie 2
JD McGee 2
Grillinski 2
Cracklin Jeorge 2
colonel00 2
BurntFinger Jason 2
Brewmaster 2
bigabyte 2
zydecopaws 1
The BBQ QB 1
Skidder 1
silverfinger 1
SaucyWench 1
rolf 1
Pork Smoker 1
Plowboy 1
Phrasty 1
Midnight Smoke 1
Meat Burner 1
MayDay 1
JiveTurkey 1
Jeff in KC 1
h00kemh0rns 1
Groundhog66 1
Grillman 1
Goose 1
fweck 1
FattyMac 1
Divemaster 1
Diva Q 1
Desert Dweller 1
deez20 1
caseydog, Shiz-Nit, Will work for bbq 1
Buster Dog BBQ 1
Brimhack 1
Bowhnter 1
BigButzBBQ 1
BBQ Grail 1
Bacon 1
Alan in Ga 1
"""---k---""" 1

by the way....according to this list, I am tied for 8th place in the most wins of all time!:whoo: I'm in the all-time top ten!:whoo: There's your proof that you don't have to know anything in order to be a winner here!:becky:

Actually Gore my response was originally for you, in reference to this line "I think this is a good thing, but I am afraid it might also be a distraction." I just happened to get up from my desk (since I'm obviously working here) for a minute before I hit submit. In the meantime CD posted his comments which happened to jive with my response to you.

While all that was going on I've now decided that it is really nice of CD to dumb down all of his photos to give the rest of us a chance. :razz: How am I ever going to get my first zero like that. I couldn't have taken any worse pictures than the ones in the saucy throwdown and someone still voted for me. :doh: This zero thing may be harder than I thought.

Thanks for your contribution Landarc.

I think that, like good photography, getting a zero requires a certain amount of skill that is not easily taught. You just do it. :doh: :becky:

CD

Back