• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maverick Questions

HarleyDiva

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a Maverick ET733 on the way. Have been reading posts about using the Mavericks, and am a bit confused on a couple of things:

1. I read that the probes should not be put under the lid in one post, then in another post read that the felt gasket on the ceramic grill cushions the probe wire so it is not a problem.

2. In another post, I read that someone took out the Primo thermometer, and put the grill temp probe through that hole. In another post, someone reported that they did that and did not get good temperature readings.

What do you guys do?????

What type of smoker? On my kettle and UDS I drilled a. 3/8" hole near grate level. On my converted cabinet it has a rubber gadket around cook door that gives enuff I just shut them in the door. On nicer smoker many use 3/8" neoprene grommet feed thrus.

I run mine under the door , BUT!! I am using a SNPP and the door doesn't fit very tight. The idea is DON'T pinch the wires. I am about to rebuild my cooker and will make a couple hole's with a grommet for the probe wire to go thru, that is the best way.

"In another post, I read that someone took out the Primo thermometer, and put the grill temp probe through that hole. In another post, someone reported that they did that and did not get good temperature readings."
The BBQ/grill temp probe comes with a clip to hook it to the grate wherever you want to measure temperature. You can't just poke it thru a hole and let it hang which is probably what they did. How you route the wire does not effect temperature readings, it's where and how the probe is placed.

I installed a grommet on my WSM but never had a problem running them under the lid before that. The biggest deal is just make sure you don't crimp them.

Look out for the water

All post are spot on.
However, the fasted way to kill a prob (meat or grill) is to submerge the probe in water. The hot spot is were the wire goes into the metal prob. This can be done during cook or clean up.

Does it really matter if you would drill a 3/8 hole for the probe leads and not use a grommet? How much heat could you possibly lose?

I'm on a Primo ceramic round....so drilling a hole isn't an option. Sounds like I can put them under the lid if I'm careful and don't crimp them.

With a decent cushion seal you should be ok as long as you dont crimp the wire. I bought a mav right after my gfriend gave me the masterbuilt Ran it through the door atleast 50 times no issues.

I'm on a Primo ceramic round....so drilling a hole isn't an option. Sounds like I can put them under the lid if I'm careful and don't crimp them.

I have a xl bge and run mine under the lid with no problem. 4 years and I've never ruined one.

Back