Cast Iron Cooking Appreciation Thread! Post your creations here!

I use my 12 qt for hole in ground cooking

Picturefirepitingroundpit095.jpg

If you use cast iron on the grill/smoker, how do you keep it clean enough to use and store it back in the kitchen?

If you use cast iron on the grill/smoker, how do you keep it clean enough to use and store it back in the kitchen?

I have a tephlon (sp?) scrubber sponge that I use on the outside of my CI after being in the smoker.... occassionally I will use a little soap on the outside if needed. Below is a pork tenderloin.

Attachments

• IMG_1443sm.JPG
    IMG_1443sm.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 273

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Bluetang, what are you using between your DO and the grill grate? I need something like that for my setup to keep the feet of the DO from falling through the bars. :thumb:

I grew up on CI. In fact the majority of cookware in my house is CI. My wife on the other hand is still new to these cooking marvels, and I have had to teach her the ends, and outs. She fell in love with them when I put my #10 skillet up against her favorite modern FP. Needless to say I proved that food really dose taste better, and there a snap to clean.

No pics, but I recently did a peach upside-down cake in a 10 inch skillet on the Weber kettle. It was really good.

Sauce
1/2 stick butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
14 oz. Can of Pineapple, Peaches, Apricots etc. ( I used some home canned peaches that were sliced)

Melt butter in 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet
Add the brown sugar and stir until heated to a liquid consistency

Place your fruit of choice (drained) in a pattern of your choice on top of the butter/brown sugar mixture

Batter
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup veg. oil
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg

With a hand mixer, starting on low speed, beat ingredients together for 30 seconds.
When all ingredients are incorporated, beat on high for 3 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Pour batter over the fruit/butter/ brown sugar mixture.
Cook over indirect heat, shooting for 350-375 degrees. It usually takes 40 minutes or so. I like to rotate the skillet after about 20 minutes. Take skillet off heat. Invert on a large plate or tray. Let sit about 5 minutes and then pull off skillet. Serve with whipped cream.

Last edited:
so happy this killer thread was resurrected! Recipes would make it even better! Thanks for posting these awesome CI creations.

Back