• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Santa Maria style restaurants in Santa Maria area

Gary Tomato

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’ve been looking forward to visiting Santa Maria for a few years now and will be finally making it in mid-December this year, visiting from Melbourne, Australia.

I’m hoping someone can recommend what they think is the best place, (ie eating place) to go and have some authentic Santa Maria bbq. You know what I mean, tri-tip cooked over oak and ribs and whatever is good to eat.

We’ll be driving down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco so any places on the way we could possibly visit.

Thanks folks
Gary

They don't have tri-tip, but Jocko's in Nipomo is fantastic. Everything cooked over blazing red oak on a Santa Maria pit. I've had pork ribs, beef ribs, and beef BBQ there (it was like a sliced beef deal, with some kind of sauce - not normally what I'd go for, but very good). Everything I've had is fantastic. It's a very popular spot, best to have reservations & go early. If you like to drink at the bar with locals, you can do that - it's a fun spot.

http://jockossteakhouse.com

From what I understand, the real roots of what is widely understood to be Santa Maria BBQ are in fundraisers held by churches and civic organizations. I have no idea if they still go on or not. There's also a spot called The Hitching Post that I haven't been to but have heard good things about - I believe there are 2 - not sure if they are related or if one is preferable to the other.

This looks promising...I may have to go check it out myself!

St. John's in Santa Clara does a nice tri-tip on Tuesdays.
Firestone Grill in SLO was good too.
Stop in for a "slash" at the Madonna Inn, most famous bathroom in CA

Jocko's is legendary

Back