View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #24
TBoneMac
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
In actuality those contests probably gave the top teams an advantage, and most of them probably knew it. Give a top 10 team a skinny $ muscle and they'll find something good to turn in and/or won't even worry about it. Give that same butt to an average team and they may bomb the category before the meat ever hits the pit. I suspect the biggest issue was finding sponsors to donate meat, the added cost to buy meat if it wasn't donated, and the volunteer time required to sort the meat to level the playing field.

It's optional. I wouldn't recommend it but I know a few braver souls that have tried it and done OK. I know others that tried it once and got burned. Say it takes an hour, and costs $15-20 for greens... In comparison to the other expenses and the required time for everything else ata contest is it really a burden?

You know why cooks tend to turn that in? It wins.
I disagree that the top cooks are at an advantage if they are forced to cook the same quality meat as everyone else. It makes no sense to say otherwise.

Garnish is optional, yes. But judges have come to expect it. My KCBS CBJ class instructor spent 30 minutes on the types of garnish that are allowed. And it may cost only $20 per contest, but that's 20 wasted dollars, not to mention the wasted time shopping for it and using it. You know what would solve this garnish problem once and for all, guaranteed? If KCBS were to simply disallow garnish, as the SCA has. Pretty damn simple solution.

I would think cooks with at least some measure of self-respect would lament the fact that over-salted, over-spiced meat with loads of MSG has come to be the winning ticket. Malcom Reed at least once had the dignity to say that he was ashamed of the amount of salt he had to use to win an SCA contest.

Last edited by TBoneMac; 08-14-2019 at 07:46 PM..
TBoneMac is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->