New Cinder Block Pit And One Angry Wife

Luckily my spousal unit just shrugs and says something to the effect that having a hobby that keeps me in the backyard where she can keep an eye on me (and provides reasonably tasty eats as well) can't be all bad. When she gets testy, I trot out the old "How much did you spend on all those damn shoes in the closet?" argument and a truce ensues.

My wife bought me an Akorn for my birthday a couple years ago.

If I may- I think for her its all about how the block pit looks where it is. Im sure
if it was somewhere next to the house where nobody can see it, she would
not care at all.
Just my 2c.

Well now it is pretty easy to get bold with the words when you don't have a marriage, kids, happiness, etc. I am not willing to sacrifice my 29 years of marriage just to be macho.................... little nuts.

Marty, i don't care to start an argument with any one. i would rather not even mention anything on the web about ( wife/ girl friend) won't let me do/buy... what ever....I just see who wears the PANTS in the relation ship.

Congratulations on your 29 years of marriage. ADD another 20 years to what you have,then you will be where i'm at. We raised a couple of son's and are were happy together. No need to kiss --- to buy any thing that either one of us wants . nuff said.

Marty, i don't care to start an argument with any one. i would rather not even mention anything on the web about ( wife/ girl friend) won't let me do/buy... what ever....I just see who wears the PANTS in the relation ship.

Congratulations on your 29 years of marriage. ADD another 20 years to what you have,then you will be where i'm at. We raised a couple of son's and are were happy together. No need to kiss --- to buy any thing that either one of us wants . nuff said.

Marriage is best when nobody is wearing any pants at all. :thumb:

Wait. She BOUGHT a HOTEL?!?

How did this take so long to come up? The whole time I'm reading this thread, all I can think about is how someone who just bought a hotel (and I'm assuming it wasn't while playing Monopoly) would have a problem with spending almost nothing on a pit.

Well now it is pretty easy to get bold with the words when you don't have a marriage, kids, happiness, etc. I am not willing to sacrifice my 29 years of marriage just to be macho. I have a lot of BBQ's which are the result of careful planning, conniving and outright manipulation.
But I have a happy relationship despite my wife thinking I'm a little nuts.
I'm with Marty on this issue.

I'll also comment on the popularity of the various Weber colors... They look very cool, but they cook the same as the black ones. I have found if you have a bunch of black kettles, you can sneak a new one in w/out being noticed. I managed a 22" WSM without comment. :becky:

Cough up some shopping money for her and tell her(I would suggest $300.00)......

You need:

3 butts
4 racks of ribs
2 packs of brats
2 dozen clams
buns and some corn.

Here's my trick with motorcycles, if you want a new one, just buy it and make it look a little like an older one. Chicks can't tell the difference! If you have like 5-6 bikes, she'll never notice one or two more...keep them all bunched together. :mrgreen: It's tough in the beginning, but you're free and clear after you collected a few.

Just to prove it works, my old lady as me a couple months ago about a bike I sold 3 years ago. :heh:

Bunch all your cookers into one section of the yard.

Cough up some shopping money for her and tell her(I would suggest $300.00) "Baby I can't live without you, You are the sole reason that I love life and live to make sure that you are happy without you I would be like a ship without a rudder" and all will be fine!!!

SILVER TOUNGED DEVIL...
It's all in the technique.
Feed her some good 'Q' and your good to go...

If I may- I think for her its all about how the block pit looks where it is. Im sure
if it was somewhere next to the house where nobody can see it, she would
not care at all.
Just my 2c.
When I was a kid, my Dad built one under an old Walnut tree in our back yard.
Ours was blocks, and Piggly Wiggly metal signs. Not terribly pretty.
Wonderful memories of it. It was a gathering place for the neighborhood men.
I got to join them to tend to a separate fire for coals.

Nobody turned up their nose at that old Pit when Pig or Goat came out of the Pit.

Yup she bought a hotel but still sees no need for another bbq device. Part of what here anger over the whole smoking thing is the fact that she rarely eats my pork cooks and her 2 teenage daughter never eat any smoked offering. Heck they dislike straight up grilled stuff on charcoal. They will eat the pizza cooked on the Akorn though....but that is it. When I do up a pork butt I am on my own. To see if it's as good as I think I take some to the guys at work or show up at a buddy's with a care package. Another smoker means my hobby/obsession grows and that just pisses her off....what pisses her off more I believe is that she can really say little as she is spending way more on the hotel. It is a huge fixeruper so she got it cheap but there is much work to be done.

Meanwhile I did ribs and chicken again today. This time with new grates, a water pan and some ceramic fire bricks in the bottom underneath the coals.

This is the ribs after 4.5 hours or so......3 hours naked, fresh from 1.5 hours of foil:

4qo3kg.jpg

and with the sauce:

aac77r.jpg

I started the carmelization stage on the upper rack then moved down to the lower rack. There was a 40f termperature difference in the same relative position. Finished ribs:

kcz2tc.jpg

And cut up and ready to eat:

mm7hfk.jpg

These were juicy and pull of the bone. I used partially burned chunks on this second cook and while the smoke was more prominent I could use more.

Tommorrow is my attempt at Jamaican style bbq. Hopefully it is not a disaster like my previous trys. I will update with photos.

Well, you've got the right attitude. You like to cook stuff and you gotta find more people that want it. Same boat I am in. My wife could care less about BBQ. So, I have lots of treats for the neighbors (and a full freezer) and family. Hang in there as I know it is tough in that situation... your 'Q looks great!

Oldhoss - when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

You have a bit of work to restore your image with SWMBO and the sooner you get that sorted, the sooner the earth will stop trembling. Being a man, of course I have virtually no idea how you do that, but I wish you every success.

I try to keep things in perspective...I use to have a motorcycle (since sold due to layoff and no place to really store it at my house).

Bought new, probably paid around $8k or so for it.

Money spent on the BBQ habits the past couple of years...maybe a couple of hundred dollars...grand at most and that includes the grill patio I just put in.

Now granted kids has re-adjusted my priorities a bit...but with exception of wanting to pick up a Weber gasser when my current one gives up the ghost I'm pretty happy.

wow , I was married to that situation for 21 years , my wife now thinks im crazy when I bring another BBQ home , but she enjoys what I cook

Oldhoss - that's a fine lookin' cook. Just remember, it's not about the nail:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/66753575"]It's Not About the Nail on Vimeo[/ame]

David
The Swine Spectator

Back