• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Smoke Wood?

Yeah, since you're using a UDS probably need to be more careful. Would tend towards pecan probably.

I have cooked briskets with Mesquite, Hickory, Oak and Pecan on my bit Horizon offset. Really not much difference between them if you're running a clean fire. Mesquite gets a bad rap. Nasty Mesquite usually due to a poorly maintained fire. At the end of the day I tip my hat these days to Oak. Just something about it that hits my senses when I'm running it. Just my $.02.

I use any kind of wood for beef as long as it's oak!

Really, all my best briskest were done on oak and apple but I have used apple, cherry, plum, pear and mesquite.

Jeff

Btw, walnut and black walnut is great for pork and sausage but it is very smoky and makes my beef a little bitter.

Jeff

Well we are a few hours in with Pecan and a kiss of Hickory. I got it on a little late because the neighbors showed up with some "Swia" (fish) and wanted to do some fish tacos (deep fried). Dang that was good, but Captain Morgan and fish tacos may have upset my plan to Q the perfect brisket. Pecan and Hickory smell un_farkin_B_lievable.

Pecan and hickory are basically the same with suttle differences. Use them seperate.

You guys keep saying "nut wood" with such impunity.

Black Walnut is good, it just has to be aged for longer than normal. Also use a soft touch, like you would with mesquite

I'm an oak guy for Brisket. I have some Acadia oak chunks which I have really liked. The jack daniels oak chips from the casks they use to age their whiskey also put out a yummy smoke smell.

14.5 lb packer on UDS. Goes on tonight around Midnight for grub after golf. I plan on injecting with beef broth, rubbing mostly with S&P with a little rub and wrapping in butchers paper around 160-170. My choices for wood are Apple, Hickory, Pecan and Cherry. Reccomendations, sugestions or combinations are apperciated. I have only cooked Brisket one other time and I think I under cooked it. I guess I cook too much Tri-tip. But this time I am way more prepared thanks to this site.

I know it's not on your list but I use white oak for everything - pork, beef, chicken, etc...I don't feel a need to use anything else. Probably never will.

I know it's not on your list but I use white oak for everything - pork, beef, chicken, etc...I don't feel a need to use anything else. Probably never will.

While oak is fine for smoking, you are missing out on so many great bbq flavors by not at least trying some fruit woods and hickory or pecan at least!

While oak is fine for smoking, you are missing out on so many great bbq flavors by not at least trying some fruit woods and hickory or pecan at least!

I've used hickory, cherry, pecan and apple...and I'll be honest, white oak gives me everything I need. So much of this barbecue "stuff" is over-thought IMO and smoking woods is a prime example. I'll stick with white oak - the best all-around smoking wood on the planet in this man's opinion.

Back