St. Louis Cut Question

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last year I stopped doing baby backs and made the switch to a St. Louis rack that I cut from spares.:grin: I've struggled with my options for the trimmings after you get your St. Louis cut (trimmings don't cook up like ribs:twitch:). I did find one recipe that I liked using a "jerk" (as in Jamaica) marinade but I'm looking for other ideas. I found one person who grinds it (don't have grinder now) but that's not an option...yet. So what do you guys do with the rib tips?:confused:

To me that has always been Pitmaster's treat. Lay them on the side and since they get done quicker, munch down with good samples of things to come. ;D

To me that has always been Pitmaster's treat. Lay them on the side and since they get done quicker, munch down with good samples of things to come. ;D

Agreed.
If there is a lot, put them on a nice sandwich roll

I'm really looking for cooking methods, the eating part is not much of an issue I've got that down.:wink: Do you cook them like ribs...low and slow, braise them in some AJ or BBQ sauce, etc...

I either do this, or grind them for ground pork.

I'm really looking for cooking methods, the eating part is not much of an issue I've got that down.:wink: Do you cook them like ribs...low and slow, braise them in some AJ or BBQ sauce, etc...

They will be very thin cuts compared to the STL's. Let them smoke off to the side. Just lay them out around the ribs. They will get done faster than the ribs. Relax and enjoy as they get done.

Now if you want to save them and prepare another dish with them, I defer to others.

So you guys just grind up all that cartilage right into your sausage?

There's no way I could eat them on a sandwich with all those funky bits in there either, unless I'm missing something.

I separate my trim into w/o knuckles and w/knuckles. Cook both the same, a little dusting of rub, no more than an hour on a cooling pit, maybe 225*, then into a covered pan with 1/2 apple juice & 1/2 BBQ sauce to "braise" for another hour, again in a cooling pit. The w/ knuckles just get munched, the w/o knuckles make an awsome sandwich. I usually use prettry traditional spicey sauces, but a couple weeks ago we did a batch with hoisin - killer!

I look at the ribends from a trimmed rack as my own personal McRib I can season and sauce to my hearts content.

Get a nice crusty Portuguese roll and have at it.

I marinated mine in a maple bourbon sauce for 24 hours.

Threw them on the *gasp* grill while the ribs were in the UDS.

They never made it into the house......

I make a Chinese style rib, I will marinate them in a Chinese BBQ sauce overnight. Plenty of recipes to be found on the net. Next day i will partially braise them for about 30 mins then back onto the smoker at low heat. Cook and baste with more BBQ sauce til tender then enjoy. It's hard to keep your hands off these little rib tips.

Back