Smoking cheese AT work instead of FOR work.

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
IMG_7646aaa.jpg

Usually I smoke things on the weekend to take in to work, but one of the guys recently got a WSM and I asked him to bring it in so we could smoke some cheese for the guys. I brought my A-Maze-N smoke tray and 4 pounds of extra sharp cheddar, and we set it up in the shop. I sampled some about 3 hours in, he was going to pull it off later today. This should give us a few days of munchies.

IMG_7649aaa.jpg

It's funny.... because the rear shop is the Weld Shop, and despite exhaust fans and smoke eaters.... it's well,.....smokey. When the welders came up front they smelled the wood smoke immediately. This is the kind of smoke they are used to.

RickMoore006aaresize.jpg

Smoking cheese is something I haven't tried yet. What temp were y'all running?

The sawdust tray produces almost no heat.... it was 20° outside, so around 50° inside the building. The smoker was cool to the touch. Here is what the tray looks like.

IMG_7672aaa.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Looking good. I just got the same little cold smoker but it has been too cold oot to use it so far.

What sawdust did you use?

That is gonna be some fine cheese Wayne!!!
You gonna smoke some meat to go with the cheese?

I smoke mine in a WSM in the winter months, as cold as I can. No more than 50 degrees, for me. My homemade smoke generator creates almost no heat.

CD

That is really something. Being able to cook inside at work like that. Very cool. I'm betting this may become a more regular thing!:becky:

Nice! Gonna let that mellow out for a day or so?

Same question from me. Smoked cheese can be pretty harsh fresh out of the smoker. I like to let mine chill for at least three days, and find that it is just right after a week or two.

BTW, I don't personally like smoking sharp cheddar. I tend to prefer smoking milder, creamier cheeses. But, to each his own.

I do recommend that brethren smoke a wide variety of cheeses. It is like a science project -- you get to taste stuff and be surprised. I love cheddar, but not smoked. Other cheeses that don't do anything for me, I love smoked.

CD

That's a really nice thing to do for the guys at work.

That might change the old adage about work and fishing to-----a good day at work and smoking cheese is better than a bad day fishing. Looking good

Great idea smoking in a welding shop. I could do that as well, wonder if I would need a hot work permit for steaks.:p

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

That looks like the perfect set-up for cheese right there, Thirdeye. Thanks!

Nice! Gonna let that mellow out for a day or so?

Cheese always improves with mellowing, but when the smoke and temp is right, mellowing is not mandatory.

Looking good. I just got the same little cold smoker but it has been too cold oot to use it so far.

What sawdust did you use?

For a number of years alder and apple were my woods of choice, .... changing to the A-Maze-N style of generator let me explore stronger woods, so now on cheese like this extra sharp cheddar I use a mix of peach and hickory, or just straight hickory. I will use peach or cherry on pepper jack, and I still reach for alder or apple on softer cheeses like muenster.

That is gonna be some fine cheese Wayne!!!
You gonna smoke some meat to go with the cheese?

He broke his WSM in on some fatties, then last weekend did two chuck roasts. I'm thinking either another load of fatties or a pork loin cut in half would be easy cooks

Same question from me. Smoked cheese can be pretty harsh fresh out of the smoker. I like to let mine chill for at least three days, and find that it is just right after a week or two.

BTW, I don't personally like smoking sharp cheddar. I tend to prefer smoking milder, creamier cheeses. But, to each his own.

I do recommend that brethren smoke a wide variety of cheeses. It is like a science project -- you get to taste stuff and be surprised. I love cheddar, but not smoked. Other cheeses that don't do anything for me, I love smoked.

CD

Good point about variety, ...I'm the other way around, I don't like non-smoked cheddar. One combination that I like eating is smoked cheese with slices of apple.

Words can't even explain the amount of jealously I'm feeling right now. I wish I could do that at work. Chit, I can't even bring my cell phone in government building I work in. That's farkin awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back