Smoke Chart

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know of or have a link to a meats smoking chart that has what the internal temp of the meat should be? I was thinking of putting one together based on the assortment of meats I've seen on Pitmasters.

We all know the typical temps of 195ish for pork shoulders and 205 for briskets, and etc. But the other types of meats I am curious to learn about.

Thanks,
G

I checked out the chart - looks like an ok starting point still not exactly what I'm wanting. And I agree temp ranges on doneness depending on the size and cut and what not.

I just started on one that lists the meats and then HNF vs LNS temps and approx time, approx temp etc...I'll post for the experts to review/revise when I'm done.

Thanks guys. I've also started to get one together that I'll be posting tomorrow.

Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbecue" has some good tables at pages 29-32 for smoking and grilling.

This is what I have so far - some from web crawls, others from averaging BBQ Brethren posts ... Please inject thoughts and corrections. I am trying to get this chart as complete as possible for posting.

Type of Meat Finish Internal Temp Range
Beef Brisket 190-200
Beef Ribs 195-200
Beef Loin 120-130 + sear
Beef Trip Tip 125-130 +sear
Prime Rib 120-125
Pork Butt 190-205
Pork Spare Ribs Tender - bend in Ribs
Baby Back Ribs Tender - bend in Ribs
Pork Loin 130-140
Whole Chicken 165 in thighs
Chicken Thighs 165-170
Chichen Quarter 165-170
Chicken Wings 160-165
Chicken Breasts 155-165
Whole Turkey 165 in thighs
Turkey Wings 160-165
Turkey Legs 165-170
Turkey Breast 155-165
Fatties 165
Meat Loaf 160
Meatballs 160
Salmon 145
Vension Loin 145

Untrimmed spares never bend, and dark meat chicken is usually cooked until 180-185 degrees.

Is the salmon for LOX or for cooked salmon? I did my smoked salmon to 160 and I think more of a lox type is 140-145. I think.

Untrimmed spares never bend, and dark meat chicken is usually cooked until 180-185 degrees.

This is part of the problem with these types of charts. Dark meat chicken is safe at 165 (and maybe earlier if held at that temp for a certain period of time), but everyone has a temp that they prefer.

Venison loin at 145 would be overcooked for me; but I like it on the raw side of medium rare :grin:

This is part of the problem with these types of charts. Dark meat chicken is safe at 165 (and maybe earlier if held at that temp for a certain period of time), but everyone has a temp that they prefer.

It isn't really a problem, just a small caveat.

A decent chart that gives you a good median of a temp that you know means the meat is done is a good thing. Adjust tastes from there. Anyone that is expecting a chart to produce results that meet their personal perfection without learning for themselves won't ever achieve them and, frankly, don't deserve to.

That is why I'm putting together a general chart that I will expand on categories to cover ranges. I continue to welcome feedback and thoughts.

Back