New Member in Spain, from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnickcrna

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to BBQing. I'm an avid griller and just never had a smoker nor the the time to learn. I'm in the Navy and completed a tour in Iraq with the Marines last year (medical support, I'm a nurse anesthetist) and now stationed in southern Spain. I grew up in Arkansas, but moved to West Texas (Dalhart, TX) in high school and graduated high school and college there before joining the Navy.
I recently bought a used a NB Bandera from another guy leaving Spain (his loss is my gain!) and look forward to learning to master the beast. No BBQ here in Spain so my friends are also eager for me to start producing some fine BBQ! Several folks had emailed me in response to a post I had put on the Yahoo group page and invited me here. The only real wood I have access to is Oak, no hickory or mesquite here. :cry: Our commissary on base does have brisquets, pork shoulders, etc. My first mission is to get the baffle modification done to the Bandera and move on from there. I think you all have a great website and I look forward to learning from the many years of experience here. Thanks.

Michael

Welcome aboard, Micheal! Glad to see you ttok me up on my invitation. You'll find the Brothers here and the site very informative. Just dont be affraid to post any questions you may have, everyone here is more than willing to share their knowledge. Be sure to peruse the FAQ's and Files section, also check out Bandera 101 on the home page.

We all thank you for your service to this great Country of ours!

Michael, First things first, Thanks for your service to our Country. Welcome Brother!! With the help from the folks here you'll have people lining up just to smell what's in the 'dera.

Welcome, Michael!

In Spain you can also get grape, olive, apple, peach, lemon and several other woods. You'll need to go into the country side and ask around when the farmes are triming the trees. I you do it right they will even load it for you. I never could, I would always have to wash the trctor. :)

Trout

Indeed thank you and all the men and woman out serving our country and upholding the freedom we enjoy here and take for granted.

Welcome aboard brother!

Welcome, Michael. As KC said, THANK YOU for your service! It's people like you who keep us free.

Oak is a great smoking wood. I use a lot of it and love the flavor. And it burns good - doesn't take much to keep the temps where you need them.

Welcome, Michael. It's great to have another squid on board( a little navy lingo for ya). I am exNavy and spent a little time in Rota. is that where you are? If it is , i know you will also have alot of seafood available to smoke, along with local meats and sausages. Let us know what you like and what you don't.

More Navy talk...being I am a Navy brat!

Deck Ape! LOL

Rota

bittertruth said:
Welcome, Michael. It's great to have another squid on board( a little navy lingo for ya). I am exNavy and spent a little time in Rota. is that where you are? If it is , i know you will also have alot of seafood available to smoke, along with local meats and sausages. Let us know what you like and what you don't.

Yes, I am stationed in Rota, Spain. Your right there is a lot of seafood here and I will be trying to smoke different things. I get most of my meats from the commisary. They have all the standard cuts, brisquets, boston butts, etc. I have not picked up the Spanish language well enough yet to go into the local butcher shops and ask for any special cuts of meat. I have bought some ribs and chorizo sausage which were good. I want to try smoking some lamb. Someone posted a reply saying to try out the Olive and grape woods. I will have to give it a try and see how it smokes.

Michael

Welcome Michael. And THANKS!

Do you have any good spanish rice recipes? One of our members is a rice phanatic and is always looking for great ways to fix the stuff!

We've got one that likes lamb, too! Right, Chad?

Never used olive, but have used grape. Not much BTU's, but a nice aroma and flavor. Definitely would need to have a good coal bed of briquettes or burning oak to add the grape to. Try to get some apple or peach if you can.
Check the recipe section of this board to make up an all purpose rub, or if available at the commisary, try to find some Head Country, which is a good, all purpose, over the counter, rub.
Better yet, I'll email you a bunch of rub recipes.

Welcome my new brother..........

Thanks for the warm reception and emails. The only rice recipe I have is Paella. It is a traditional Spanish dish with rice and seafood. Food here in Spain is very bland. They don't use spices on hardly anything. I will try to see what other woods I can get here. I know I can get Olive, Grape and Oak. I found a place in town today that is going to make me a baffle and fire grate modification. I don't speak Spanish, but just showed them the pictures from the photo section here. I just need to get a good dual wireless thermometer and I can get started! It appears everyone recommends the Nu-temp and other less expensive ones like Maverick. I will have to shop around and see who will ship to FPO addresses. It is amazing how some businesses will not support the military stationed overseas by simply shipping to an FPO address. There are not any extra charges via USPS to ship here. Thanks again everone.

mnickcrna said:
I will have to shop around and see who will ship to FPO addresses. It is amazing how some businesses will not support the military stationed overseas by simply shipping to an FPO address. There are not any extra charges via USPS to ship here. Thanks again everone.

You tell us what you want/need, and we will send it to you.

Not kidding.

Again, welcome and thank you.

Greetings! I spent some time in Torrejon, Spain when I was in highschool before they shut that base down. My father was stationed in Gaeta, Italy, and they didn't have a high school close by. The military sent all kids without local high schools to live in a dorm in Torrejon. I was a junior in high school, and the dorm was 3 stories: Guys on the first and second floor, girls on the third floor. Needless to say I was quite the avid climber by the end of the year!
And thanks again for serving this great country of ours!

Welcome to the group Michael. You will become a very popluar guy when you start cranking up that Bandera. Butts and briskets are great smoking meats. Can you get pork ribs too? One of our favorites is the sausage logs. We call them fatties. The only take about 3 hrs. so you have something to snack on until the main course is done.

I reccomend getting the Nu-temp. With the discount they give us, it is reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back