Tuesday, 9:22 PM and the turkey fryer is going

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've got an obligation to provide the fried turkey for tomorrow's staff meeting/Christmas party -- the meeting is 100 miles away and at one of the "institutions" (prisons) so I can't take the stuff and do it on-site.

The only other option would be get up at 5 a.m. to fry the bird, pack it up, and hit the road -- screw that! I'm not being paid for this bird :D

Hence, I'm frying it up and will put it in a real slow oven in a roaster until tomorrow morning. I have to get my 12 year old on the bus at 6:50 so I'll just bone out the turkey and pack it in a warmed cooler!!

I tell ya, this cooking stuff is a CURSE! :twisted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it's 47 degrees right now and falling! Some of the Tampa Bay area (north and inland) will see freezing weather!!

And I'm cooking a farking turkey!!

Thanks, but I'll keep my Florida "winter" :D

I'm in shorts and a tee shirt cooking the turkey on the pool deck. How tough is that! :twisted:

Just finished watching Overhauled and am now watching Rides as the turkey is turning a nice golden brown. About another 10-12 minutes.

It was 47° at 9:22 PM? And you call that winter? ;) It's not that warm NOW.

Arlin_MacRae said:
It was 47° at 9:22 PM? And you call that winter? ;) It's not that warm NOW.

Yep! Winter in the Tampa Bay area -- gotta love it! Now, if we can just get the Canadians and geriatric snow birds to drive like they really have some place to go.... :D

Keep Florida green - spend money.

Well David--how did it go????
PICS?
Got me hungry for sure.

Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

TIM

I shoulda stayed in Tampa longer. Coulda had some fried Turkey!

DF, are you familiar with the Tampa Palms Country Club? That's where we stayed.

I know of Tampa Palms but I haven't been over there - I live on the other side of the bay (west side) in Pinellas County. We've got the Don Caesar in St. Pete and Westing Innisbrook just up the road from me -- Hospice had their Christmas party there this year.

The turkey turned out great even though the skin was soft after having been in the roaster all night and then in the cooler for transport. Real tender but thankfully not falling completely apart. Nice and moist and I could really taste the cajun butter injection and the Tony C. rug -- but it wasn't overpowering.

Everyone seemed to like it. I didn't get any pics - this was a full staff meeting with our state CIO and his deputy attending -- all day "round table" discussion - pretty good day all things considered. The food was great - we had plenty since the security group at the prison was having their lunch at the same time -- we just consolidated all the food and chowed down.

I'm doing grilled/smoked (depends on the style of cooker out at Zephyrhilles Correctional) next month. We got some money from the employee's club and so I'll cook chicken for the staff meeting lunch and some to sell to raise money for the club. Should be fun.

The only thing you need to know about Tampa is two words: Mons Venus

Saiko said:
The only thing you need to know about Tampa is two words: Mons Venus

Been there, done that. I stayed at the days inn right next to it for about 2 months while working down there.

Thankfully, I don't live in Tampa!

Mr Joe Retner - owner of the Venus and few other establishments has finally decided to run for city council -- why not? He winds up in front of them several times a year!!

Oh yeah, Bubba Clem (Bubba the Love Sponge) a local radion "shock" jock was indicted and convicted of animal cruelty when a hunter showed up with a wild boar and they killed it in the parking lot of the station -- Bubba ran for Pinellas County Sheriff last election -- fortunately he didn't win! :D

convicted of animal cruelty when a hunter showed up with a wild boar and they killed it in the parking lot of the station
Sound slike more PETA bullshit to me.

Nope. They actually cut the throat - on the air - pig squeals, etc. Got him convicted! :twisted:

Ok. I went back and checked out the actual chain of events regarding Bubba the Love Sponge. I mis-spoke - He was aquitted of the animal cruelty charges even though a wild pig was castrated and killed in the parking lot of the radio station and the event was broadcasted live!

He was fired by Clear Channel, even with high ratings, due to the FCC's $755K fine levied on Clear Channel as a result of obscenity and profanity on Bubba's show.

Besides that, Bubba is an asshole!

He tried to comp a meal at my restaurant by "threatening" one of my staff. The old "do you know who I am?" routine followed by "I'll tell eveyone in my audience just how...." -- as if any of my audience listened to Bubba the Love Sponge -- I ran a cafeteria!! :twisted:

It all comes down to $$$

Of course when Reginald Roundtree, a local anchor and investigative reporter, was in the store I went over and asked if he was dining with us for "work or pleasure" I reminded him that we (Luby's) was a bit gunshy after one of his hit and run - mystery shopper and take the iced tea (no ice) to the lab to check for e. coli and such. The station was doing this to a bunch of local restaurants (not us but one of our units) during "sweeps".

He was nice enough to smile and tell me he was just eating and not working! :D I comp'd his meal! :D

Back