Grommet Mod For New ET-732

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got a new Maverick ET-732. I Ordered it from fellow brethren "5-0 BBQ". Good price and it came in 2 days (nice job Steve). I am going to use it on my Weber OTG and WSM. I did not want to run the probe wires through the lid. I took some ideas I've seen here, and on other forums, and came up with a plan.

I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" of electrical running thread (used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD. I got 2 locknuts and one pipe cap (plumbing) for it.
grommet011024.jpg

On my 18/1/2" WSM, I drilled a 1/2" hole, centered between the grate supports, and one inch below the top grate, and mounted the nipple.
grommet031024.jpg

The probe wires fit through it great.
grommet051024.jpg

If I don't want to use the thermometer, I can put the pipe cap on the outside of the nipple, sealing it.
grommet041024.jpg

I did the same thing to my 22 1/2" OTG.
grommet071024.jpg

grommet111024.jpg

grommet091024.jpg

With the probe wires in place, I plan on sealing the nipples with a little piece of aluminum foil.

I tested my new ET-732 on some hot and cold water, and all seems working good. I am going to use my new ET-732, and my new custom grommets, for the first time tomorrow, on a spares cook (barbeque probe only).

It looks good to go!

Bob

Nice mod THx for sharing I might just do this to mine to use it more, ya did you tape where you were going to drill? How did you go about getting nice clean holes?

I want to know about the doo hicky that you have that holds the pit temp. probe. I just lay mine on the grate, but I like what you have there.

I guess I didn't look in my box well enough and it is long gone :(

Yeah, the pit probe clip came with the Maverick.

To make the hole, I put blue tape on the outside and marked out where I wanted the hole. I started with an 1/8" drill bit, then went to a slightly larger size 4 more times, with the last being 1/2" (total of 5 holes). That way no one cut takes off too much material. I then cleaned up the inside of the hole with a small rat tail file. A small step bit would also work well.

I didn't mention this in my original post, but when you make the nipple, make sure you deburr the cut end, especially the inside.

Bob

Last edited:
Every time I come on here, I stand amazed at the ingenuity of the Brethren on this board.

Whether it be something simple, or something complex, you guys seem to come up with a great idea. My hat is off to you!

Thanks for posting. Ill be doing this when I build my UDS.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I used my new ET-732 tonight for the first time (pit probe only). It was easier to use a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil to hold the probe then the holder clip that came with it. The unit worked very good.

My idea of using a piece of aluminum foil to seal the grommet worked well.

Back