• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Are Cows Shrinking?

S

SmokeInDaEye

It may just be a Long Island thing, but I have been having a heck of a time find good competition briskets the last few months.

I have been to Restaurant Depot every weekend for the last month and have found a total of 2 whole packers that I could use. Every thing else is 10-12 pounds and the flats are so thin I can see through them (not really but almost).

Granted I prefer briskets that are 16-18 pounds but even 14 would be doable. I finally had to settle for a choice packer today (versus CAB) and trying a flat for the first time in competition.

I may have to get an extra freezer and stockpile in the winter when demand is less!

"Jetro" in College point, off 20th Ave has a very good selection, I picked up an 18+ LB'r last weekend. They carry all grades.
Swift brand frozen from the plant Cryo-vac'd spares were 1.27Lb case price. Rob is the Meat manager and is a nice guy.

Big Bags of RO lump are 6.67 right now.
(by the front door when you walk in)

When you walk in, go to the counter on the left, ask for a pass -you have to pay cash.

I got a case of packers, Choice or better, at Restaurant Depot in Baltimore last week, 6 briskets in the case, total weight 94 lbs. Nice looking briskets, very minimal trimming at the factory. Only $1.69/lb.

I'm using them at Monmouth next week; hopefully they cook well. :)

Erik

I guess its a NYC thing. I get 15-18# packers anytime I go to the Local Supemarket for 1.29 Lb. some times they are on sale at .89 lb. Cyro packed spares .99 - 1.39 depending on if they are frozen or not. I can't tell the difference thecook the same either way.

It's dry down here in parts of Texas and other places. Cattle are going to auction sooner that some folks would like. That may be what you are seeing.

Yeah, may be a local thing. I spent some time tonight with a restaurant owner in the area who cooks a lot of briskets and he said its been tough to get larger ones. Good beef is harder to find up these ways.

I have had the same problem in the RD in Mt Vernon. Seems that 13 lbs is the biggest we can find. I have also notice a real difference is point to flat ration. The flats are getting smaller and the point getting larger. The point off one of my briskets in Lake Placid was the same size as the flat and probably heavier since it was thicker at some points. I'm thinking of trying my luck at Westside in the Hunts Point Market but thats a real gamble. You can't see what you are getting and without catering there is nothing to do with the small ones. Even practice isn't worth it at that point since your comp meat and practice meat would be apples and oranges.

I went to a place in troy NY this weekend to get briskets and I asked the butcher for the two largest he had. He walked out with these two little 9 pounders. He told me they were huge!!! I used and did ok. I cooked high heat and they actually came out very nice.

The thin flat / big point issue seems to be the way that RD is having their house "Angus" butchered. I picked through 3 cases the other day and they all seemed to be cut in this fashion. IBP's seem to be the most consistent in regards to thicker flats, but the RD here has quit carrying them.

I finally found what I thought were 2 decent ones this weekend only to open one and a knife gash halfway through the middle of one of the flat. Ended up grinding most of it for burgers.

Anyone know if BJs sells whole packers or only flats?

I finally found what I thought were 2 decent ones this weekend only to open one and a knife gash halfway through the middle of one of the flat. Ended up grinding most of it for burgers.

Anyone know if BJs sells whole packers or only flats?

Oh that was you I thought is was Thunder I heard over the weekend thanks :mrgreen:

Sam's in KC has the same problem with small briskets and thin flats. I have been able to get 14-16lb packers at a couple of meat markets but for 2x+ Sams price.

I can get 90lb cases at RD here in KC with no problem. I rarely ever cook flats.

It may just be a Long Island thing, but I have been having a heck of a time find good competition briskets the last few months.

I have been to Restaurant Depot every weekend for the last month and have found a total of 2 whole packers that I could use. Every thing else is 10-12 pounds and the flats are so thin I can see through them (not really but almost).

Granted I prefer briskets that are 16-18 pounds but even 14 would be doable. I finally had to settle for a choice packer today (versus CAB) and trying a flat for the first time in competition.

I may have to get an extra freezer and stockpile in the winter when demand is less!

Dude, 12 lb briskets are perfect for comps. That's what my target weight is. That's the perfect 10 hour cook.

Oh that was you I thought is was Thunder I heard over the weekend thanks :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was pissed. Nice thick flat with a cut halfway through and no real way to salvage it.

Dude, 12 lb briskets are perfect for comps. That's what my target weight is. That's the perfect 10 hour cook.

It'd be fine if the 12 pounders had thicker flats. I trim off the thin stuff since you can't really inject it and aren't going to turn it in. Actually cooked a 9# nose off brisket recently because it was the thickest flat they had.

I can get 90lb cases at RD here in KC with no problem. I rarely ever cook flats.

I agree, but open up that case and check it out, you will get some thin ones in there. I usually open a couple cases to build mine.(probally pisses them off,,,:twisted:)

Drive over to Hunt's Point and see if they will cut you a deal right off the loading dock.

Back