• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Foreign Objects in Lump

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've had my fair share of rocks in my lump but tonight as I was loading up my Small BGE with RO, I pulled out the heaviest foreign object I've encountered in a bag of lump yet:

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

1 lb 14 oz or 1.875 lbs of metal (I think iron)
IMG_1320.jpg

Here it is after I cleaned it up:
IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Maybe my bag should have said 89% Natural Wood Charcoal instead of 100% or possibly "fortified with Iron".

What's the oddest, heaviest, or largest foreign object you've found in your lump?

That's why I don't use lump. It's just disgusting some of the stuff you get in the bag.

RO is my go to lump due to it's availability, quality, and price. However 2 bags ago I noticed a nasty burning tar smell coming from my Performer as it was heating up. I found a robins egg size piece of ? that was flaming and giving off the nasty odor.

S**t happens every now and then, but I still prefer cooking over lump!

You better at least get one free bag out of that after you contact the company and show them those pics. That's filthy.

The only thing bad i've found so far with wicked good is too many huge pieces of logs.

I use RO too, but that is ridiculous. Just some small rocks so far. Find some WG.

I'd love to try WG but it's $25.00 a bag in my town. :cry:

Here too with the concrete.

Every bag I get has stones in them and I expect as much to be honest due to the process but keep the sides of the building out of the mix please.

Briquets is another story. I have found some very interesting things in there including children's toys.

I'd love to try WG but it's $25.00 a bag in my town. :cry:

WG is $25/bag out here in CA as well. Good stuff. I bought 4 bags a while back to use in my BGE. Down to my last bag.

I've noticed some funky stuff in RO lump a few times as well.

No rocks, wood, metal, bad smell, no nothing but pure lump charcoal. I make my own and it's free.

looks like a possible native american artifact, I would take it to the museum and have it carbon dated, may be worth it's weight in gold. :)

I had a friend who went to Mississippi and Louisiana for two years to help with the clean-up from Hurricane Katrina as a truck driver. He told me at the dumping sites the wood debris was taken to be used for two main purposes;
(1) to be chipped into mulch
or
(2) to used for making charcoal.

I never really thought it as feasible, but the wood is free.

I guess that is why some brands have nails and pieces of plywood in them all the time.

Concrete, a nice sized piece of chert and other various rocks. I remember someone found what appeared to be a badly burned cell phone a couple of years ago.

Empty fag packet, nails, lengths of thin plastic strapping, stones, small lumps of concrete...all from two bags of el cheapo lump....

That's the reason not to pour directly into cooker. There no reason to smell or taste foreign objects that could be culled out. Just look into what you're using then pour. Steve.

You better at least get one free bag out of that after you contact the company and show them those pics. That's filthy.

The only thing bad i've found so far with wicked good is too many huge pieces of logs.

I use RO too, but that is ridiculous. Just some small rocks so far. Find some WG.

It looks like a tooth from the machine they use to scoop it up. They are usually replaceable since they wear.

I love Wicked Good WW. I'm in NH so it's fairly cheap. I pay $16-$17 for a 22# bag. My only complaint is a lot of times the pieces are TOO BIG!
I usually have to break them into smaller chunks. I do sometimes find a piece of concrete in there but that is about it.

-Kenny

I am so farkin' jealous. I found a chunk of UFO-shaped concrete in Cowboy lump that was nearly a foot in diameter and weighed well over 5 pounds (the bag was significantly heavier than the 10 pounds advertised). What you have there is REALLY cool though. That is better than anything I've ever gotten!

Back