Dial Gauge Permanent Thermometor Recommendation Please for my UDS

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My new UDS needs a new dial gauge thermo or two. Right now I am borrowing my Weber Q thermo from my mini (which seems to work well but used to be $10, now $15 on Amazon--silly nuts if you ask me).

I want something affordable yet high quality -- the most bang for your buck if you will. Sometimes one can get really good stuff affordably; I don't buy into: "you get what you pay for"--e.g. sometimes you can pay a lot and get junk. But there is an exceptionally good one that costs a bit more I'm open to indulge , thanks :)

I have seen people use a turkey fryer thermometer. How long of stem do you want on your thermometer? People use the longer stem to get closer to the middle of their UDS. A shorter stem may give you a false reading due to the fact it is reading the heat coming up the side of the UDS. Another option is using a digital one with the probe stuck through a potato. You can put the digital unit in a ziplock bag to keep it dry. Using this method will give you a better idea of what the temp at the grate is than anything else.

I have seen people use a turkey fryer thermometer. How long of stem do you want on your thermometer? People use the longer stem to get closer to the middle of their UDS. A shorter stem may give you a false reading due to the fact it is reading the heat coming up the side of the UDS. Another option is using a digital one with the probe stuck through a potato. You can put the digital unit in a ziplock bag to keep it dry. Using this method will give you a better idea of what the temp at the grate is than anything else.

I want one with a 3" stem or less. I don't want it too long otherwise I might break it with the fire basket or whatever. I can add the removable long stem one later. I also want to get a digital one later on (like the stoker device).. but that's much later. Thanks :)

do not use one with a 3" stem, it will not give you good reading. use 12" and remember to pull it out when moving things

I got mine at Academy Sports IIRC it was packaged as OLD COUNTRY about 9 bucs
DSCF0057.jpg

River Country here too

lots of configurations available on Amazon

I think they are a great deal and a very nice product

I recommend getting this one from Spicewine Ironworks, it can be calibrated and Spicewine is a brethren member
temp_stable800x622_zpsb08f439f.jpg

I got mine at Academy Sports IIRC it was packaged as OLD COUNTRY about 9 bucs
DSCF0057.jpg

I run these same thermos on all my cookers I built. You can find em on eBay pretty cheap in various sizes. Fwiw I still verify that they're accurate before running them, but I've not had one be off to date. I personally don't buy into the whole need for one with a 12" stem or whatever as thermos are only a frame of reference anyway. Once you use your cooker a bit and get used to the readings you'll know whats happening on the grate.

Back