Cheap WSM clone and Auber ATC

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone is interested in this, but I wanted to let you know if you are.

I recently bought a Master Forge Charcoal Vertical from Lowes, it was $59, now its on sale for $49. Its a great deal on a nice smoker.

Its setup similar to a 18 1/2 WSM, but it has some nice features of its own.

The middle section has handles on it, and it latches to the bottm section. So you can easily lift off the middle and tend to the coals and not lose much heat if you have to. Also with the latches, you can pick the whole thing up and once it if needed.

All I did to it was add a weber style damper to the bottom and another to the top. And put a grate for the charcoal in the pan.

It seals well, it will snuff out the coals without a bunch of mods like an ECB. I did put foil tape over the hole thats in the bottom in the middle

I put an Auber ATC on it and man does it work well!

I did a test burn on it last weekend with a load of Wicked Good Lump. I just filled the pan to the brim, I did not load it up as I wanted to see how this would all work.

This is at my cabin in N Mich, I was there last weekend and also brought a slab of bacon that has been curing and was ready to smoke if I got around to it.

Anyway, I lit 20 briqs and spread it on the lump, put it together, set the Auber to 225, opened the top vent 1/2 way, bottom vent closed and let her rip.

In no time, it was cruising along at 225. I put the country ribs on and just watched it work. After 6 hours, they were done and plenty of lump was left.

Now the real test. I set the Auber for 160f and sure enough, in no time the temp was right there! I put the bacon on, smoked if for 4 hours then set the temp to 180 just to see what it would do and it behaved perfectly. Ran it that way for another hour or so

At the low temp setting, the blower reminded me of someone puffing on a cigar. Just a puff every so often.

After that I shut it down, I still had maybe 1/4 of the lump left.

Very happy with the whole thing!

some pics

Last edited:
Awesome! I saw those on sale at Lowes and almost bought one as a present for some one. Glad they upgraded the ECB. This is America, why shouldn't our knock offs be better than the original.

Two thumbs up.

Looks like you have it figured out!

I like your guard dog.:thumb:

I've seen those too and wondered if anybody had used one

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that it's a good performing option without all of the ECB mods.

Back