Back from Tejas-Q-fest

T

The Woodman

I just got back from the Texas BBQ Rub group www.texasbbqrub.com , annual bash in Cistern ,Texas. Ate some great BBQ at The Railhead in Ft Worth, and also got to the Pendery's store there , where I dropped a ton on Chili and Chile Powders. This is basically a group of internet friends like this one, but based out of Tejas. We get together the first weekend in November every year and tell tall tales, camp-out, go visit Tejas landmarks (The Alamo, Shiner Brewery, B&B Charcoal, Smitty's and Kreuzes in Lockhart,) eat some great (and different) BBQ, and drink copious amounts of beer and Tequila. We also ate some great chicken fried steaks, gumbo, and jambalaya. The racoon was, however, TERRIBLE! This event is put on by Gator Pits, Texas BBQ Rub, and Texas Pepper Jelly for $75/person . We had folks from all over the country. Anyone who wants to see how they do it in Tejas, should try and hook up for next year. It is truly the highlite of my BBQ year! Here are some photos:

http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/photo/index.php?folder=/QFest%202006/

Woody

jgh1204 said:
Is Pendery's still on Belknap? I thought they had closed and were going internet sales.

I'd have to look at a map. I just know how to get there, but yes they were still open as of a couple months ago. I think they still have a brick and mortar location listed on their retail site somewhere.

That sounds and looks like it was a great trip, Woody!

Woody,

Come to Mecca in June and see how a real 4 day bash goes!!!!!!!!

Smoker said:
Woody,

Come to Mecca in June and see how a real 4 day bash goes!!!!!!!!

Maybe I will. Problem is, it is during my busy catering season!

jgh1204 said:
Is Pendery's still on Belknap? I thought they had closed and were going internet sales.

Pendery's old location is going to close (end of the year I think) but good news for us chile-heads: They're moving into a new building not far away!

I'm not allowed inside Pendery's with my checkbook, ATM or credit cards and must be accompanied and supervised by a fiscally responsible adult.

http://www.penderys.com

Ken (In a 12-step Pendery's Program)

Sounds like a great time !
I really hate to ask BUT...WTF is the deal with this picture??
Just transporting it??

Attachments

• tl_wsm.jpg
    tl_wsm.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 72
Ah, that looks like the Texas Legend! Yeah, I think Ritchie just likes to transport the WSM in thar!

Yeah, I spent only $75 at Penderys. Got some Lime Powder, and Worcestershire powder too. Also, got several exotic salts, and a preponderance of Chili powders. Great place.

The strap aound the WSM looks like a red ribbon all you need it a big bow to accessorize!!!

The trip looked like a blast!

Back