logo

Llano style brisket

jonmhenderson

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
All this brisket talk here lately and our Thanksgiving trip home to Texas got my wife and I jonesin for some Cooper's style brisket. I have a custom built Cooper's style steel rectangular box cooker (just not as long) fired exclusively with hot mesquite coals. The meat sits 24 inches above the coals with another 12 inches between the grate and the lid. The method is to heavily coat the packer with coarse salt and coarse pepper, heat the pit to around 400, then cook fat down for an hour, then flip and cook another hour, then wrap in foil and return to pit, fat down for a total of 4.5 to 5 hours. I'll post the results.

Mesquite coals doin' work. Only one load of coals 3 1/2 hours into the cook. They say mesquite has up to 60% lignin content! as opposed to less than 20% in hickory. I believe it.

2695dbeb55e978dd2c942dfb3822e139.jpg

Awesome cooker, concept and rub. A friend brought me two bottles of Coopers rub recently. I used it for thanksgiving brisket liberally after resting. Big hit with family. Love Coopers and your cooker

Last edited:
Cooper's in Llano is one of my favorites, especially for brisket. I have not tried their Fort Worth location. I'm always worried about secondary locations of a great BBQ joint.

CD

It was really good; I made some Cooper's sauce to go with it. This style of cooking yields a firm, but pull apart brisket with that cooked directly over the mesquite coals flavor from the juices dripping down on the hot coals. It's my favorite hands down. It's the flavor I remember from my childhood.

Back