Turkey breast

Bigbux58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all... I'm thinking of doing a whole turkey breast on my uds his weekend. But I don't know how to cook/prepare it... Any advice?

Don't know about a uds, in my stick burner I like turkey breast injected with pear juice, salt and pepper the skin, lightly. I almost always smoke turkey with cherry wood. Hit it heavy at first, then leave it to cook, I keep the heat a little lower,
around 225. I just don't rush turkey breast.

Do a whole spatched turk.

Just an observation on carving turkey breast. Almost everybody slices them with the grain instead of against it. This drives me nuts!

And don't cook it past 155. Temp will continue to rise during the rest period.

Same as in an oven. I like them stuffed, bagged, slow roasted breast side down to start and then turn when the IT reaches 130 open the bag and let it brown while you slowly add heat.

I would definitely give that thing a brine for at least 4-6 hours in a mix of 1 part brown sugar and 1 part salt mixed with at least 5 parts of water. Make sure the brine is all cooled off and let that turkey soak it up. When ready to cook, rinse really well with cold water. Add your seasonings, put on the smoker at about 325 until IT of 155-160. Pull, wrap in foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

turkey brest

brine 4 to 5 hr season with seasoned salt coarse black pepper under skin and in chest cavity rub skin with oil or butter cook at 275 to 300 till 160 internal temp. let rest cut breast from carcass slice against grain

I'm going to be the odd man out. I take the breast off the bone, season, and put on a 300*F smoker for about an hour and a half. Take it off at 155*F like the rest. You can serve it hot or let it chill and make sandwiches.

Edit: One thing I forgot, if you get a turkey breast that has a solution. There is no real reason to brine it. If you want flavor inside, do an injection.

The thing about carving with the grain. It is hard to cut across the grain while the breast is on the bone. You can get it somewhat across the grain if you know how to carve the breast. All the videos I've seen have you starting cutting with the grain. If you take the breast off the bone after it is cooked you could cut it across the grain, but it is tough to get it off the bone whole.

As said above, if the turkey is "in solution" or "enhanced" there is no benefit in brining, it already has internal liquid/salt. Injection can help, but not necessary. I cook mine between 275-300 degrees until the internal temp is 155 or so...the temp will continue to rise as residual cooking occurs during the rest. I like to rest it foiled, wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for an hour or so. For seasoning, I use a 50/50 mix of Simply Marvelous Cherry and Simply Marvelous Season-all...and then lots of black pepper...I love black pepper :)

Have fun and don't sweat it. You'll do great. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. God bless.

Back