BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown

**Cast Iron on Cast Iron**

I'm always too late or too short when it comes to the Throwdowns. I really admire all the entries each week. I still have a thing or two left up my sleeve for this weeks subject, but last nights quickie grill got me started!

For my very first Throwdown, I present....a little cast iron grilling.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Shrimp with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and Mick's Hot Ginger Pepper Jelly

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Alaskan King Salmon tail with DP Raging river with Cherry smoke from the Flavordome Smoker box under the Genesis cast iron grates. Shrimp sautee on a skillet.

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

Moved the Salmon from the foil to the skillet to crisp the skin.

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Eatin' healthy!

Beautiful. I'd so hit that plate. Please share the recipe for the side....is that an orzo pasta medly. Looks fantastic.

Beautiful. I'd so hit that plate. Please share the recipe for the side....is that an orzo pasta medly. Looks fantastic.

Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend " A savory blend of Israeli style Couscous, Orzo, Baby Garbanzo beans and Red Quinoa"

Shelled seamed Edamame (soybeans)

Second time in a couple days that quinoa makes an appearance here, I gotta try the stuff. Never heard of it before.
Can you describe the taste and or texture of it?

Looks fantastic Brian.

Alrighty, Right here represents 3 firsts for me...

1st time in a Throwdown
1st time making a Pinapple Upside Down Cake
1st time making anything that doesn't resemble soup/stew or chili in the Dutch Oven.

I only like 2 kind of cakes... German Chocolate and Pineapple Upside Down Cake... mom used to make pineapple upside down when I was a kid, but I haven't had any in years... So, what the heck!

Here we go!

Lined the sides of the DO with parchment paper to reduce stickage and arranged the pinapple & cherries on top of the melted butter/brown suga' mix.

DSC07335Medium.jpg

Dropped in a batch of the Dough-Boy's pineapple flavored cake mix.

DSC07336Medium.jpg

Made a foil halo to keep the briqs from rolling off the round top of my DO

3 lit briqs underneath and about 18 or so on top.

I set it up inside my gasser so that the wind wouldn't screw with me. So actually I had CI grates holding up a CI DO... :confused:

DSC07342Medium.jpg

about 45 min later and she was smelling incredible!!!

Little bit burnt on the top... prolly use a few less briqs on top next time.

DSC07345Medium.jpg

After seeing the top I was gettin worried about the bottom... all for nuthin tho - It was perfect!!! :clap2:

DSC07357Medium.jpg

I wasted no time hackin' into it to have a taste. Amazing if I do say so myself!

DSC07365Medium-1.jpg

Just like ma' used to make!! Only better cuz I did it. :thumb:

Thanks for lookin!

Hey KnucklHed... I hate desserts, cause I drink too much...but you just slammed that one. I would eat that anytime just for the effort , and then I'd probably love the taste too!

Cheers!

Bill

Since this falls within the date, I'll include it... Ad Hoc Short Ribs! Cast iron used: cast iron grate on the Bubba Keg, and cast iron Dutch oven for the braising.

4472279132_0e60a2242f_b.jpg

4472279672_644e5fb166_b.jpg

4471503323_8b8bee3a1b_b.jpg

Since this falls within the date, I'll include it... Ad Hoc Short Ribs! Cast iron used: cast iron grate on the Bubba Keg, and cast iron Dutch oven for the braising.

4472279132_0e60a2242f_b.jpg

4472279672_644e5fb166_b.jpg

4471503323_8b8bee3a1b_b.jpg
Dang Curt!!!

I picked the wrong throwdown to start with...

I see you're still using that Bubba Keg once in a while :biggrin1:

Hey KnucklHed... I hate desserts, cause I drink too much...but you just slammed that one. I would eat that anytime just for the effort , and then I'd probably love the taste too!

Thanks Bill!!

I usually prefer to drink my desert too, but this one... man!

I think next time I'll add Rum to the butter/brown sugar sauce.

Nice job indeed! How about cooking some of that up at the Pike Place comp in a couple weeks? When freinds share I feel glad!

Dang Curt!!!

I picked the wrong throwdown to start with...

I see you're still using that Bubba Keg once in a while :biggrin1:

Trust me, I never come close to winning these things.

And I use my BKCG all the time; it's the first grill/smoker I go to. I use the XL BGE when I need more space or want to do high heat pizza, and use the Weber kettle when I need more room.

Back