Buckboard bacon day 2 question..

stiffy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started a Pork Butt yesterday in Tenderquick and Brown Sugar, cut it in half before rubbing, then wrapped twice in plastic wrap, and then into zippered bags.

Question is there is a bunch of liquid that has ran out and was wondering if this is all my TQ and Brown Sugar ran out the plastic wrap? Will it still work? worried I guess..

Ran out where? In the plastic wrap? It's probably the meat juices from cutting it but I don't think it will mess up the finished product. You should be okay.

Plastic wrap is not the best seal. As long as it's not leaking from the ziplock you are okay.

Just from the plastic wrap into the bag. what have you used for this before?

Stiffy, I believe the juices are from the TQ pulling them out and then the juices are "pulled" back in when the liquid levels stabilize. It takes a few days but when it is done you will have cured the butts with the TQ being drawn into them. Just give it more time and everything should be fine, and by the way the sugars will be drawn in also for some very good tasting bacon. Enjoy!

I did some bellies recently and didnt wrap them in plastic..I just rubbed them and put them in the zipper bags... the water is the natural process from the salt in tenderquick to draw moisture...I guess this is the same reason they cure codfish in salt. BEST bacon ever!!!

I started a Pork Butt yesterday in Tenderquick and Brown Sugar, cut it in half before rubbing, then wrapped twice in plastic wrap, and then into zippered bags.

Question is there is a bunch of liquid that has ran out and was wondering if this is all my TQ and Brown Sugar ran out the plastic wrap? Will it still work? worried I guess..

you will be fine. that's just natural when curing meat. make sure to turn the meat over 180 degrees about every day or so. Also, you mentioned that you cut the butt in half? If so, you may want to cut back on cure time. I usually go ten days for a whole butt. If you have two "half's", there will be less thicknesss and the cure should penetrate a little quicker.

Like boatnut said, the liquid is natural. But you may want to get rid of the plastic wrap and just keep the meat in the zipper bags. (saving all the liquid) You see, the liquid should be in contact with the meat during the curing process. That's why regular turns are called for.

you will be fine. that's just natural when curing meat. make sure to turn the meat over 180 degrees about every day or so. Also, you mentioned that you cut the butt in half? If so, you may want to cut back on cure time. I usually go ten days for a whole butt. If you have two "half's", there will be less thicknesss and the cure should penetrate a little quicker.

Good point about the thickness, and of course how the butt was halved. If it was split lengthways to get two pieces 1-3/4" thick, less time would be in order.

Later today I will take them out of the plastic wrap then, so how many days do you think I should leave it in there? I thought 10 days was the norm for anything with this TQ, of course what you guys mentioned about it being small so cure time should be shorter sounds correct.

Back