Competitors Gantt Chart?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, not a Gantt Chart so much, but does anyone use a highly structured organizational and time management tool for when you compete?

Eric

Thanks. Detailed spread sheets would be fine.

I'm not actually looking for a suggestion of a tool as much as trying to find someone who actually uses one.

I need to speak with someone about it for Smoke Signals magazine.

Eric

I actually do use a Gantt Chart, or used to before it became second nature. Still have it for visitors.

Is it wrong that I feel at home with you guys after this thread? lol

I do have a box and whisker chart that resulted from a bbq experiment. BBQ geeks. ROTFL

I'm a project manager at work and use Gantt charts often. I'm not a fan of them
when there's detail along the way of one particular bar of the chart. Therefore I
use an Excel Spread Sheet with most every detail listed, from start time of the trimming
of the pork and who does it to the estimated finish time with tasks assigned at take-off
and placement in the cambro, then same thing for turnin prep, walk, and even on-site
prep and show in MBN.

Here's what I use. I was originally going to put together a gantt chart but realized it would run long and I wanted to organize everything by time and activity while separating each meat. It's pretty simple really. I have the times in the 1st vertical row followed by each meat which I color code. If I have a lot of things going on within an hour I might take it down to a 15 or 10 minute time frame. When I have an activity or task to do in a time period, that time is changed to red and I fill in what needs to do in the time slot for which meat. When I have nothing to do it is black. Turn in times are blocked in red.

Attachments

• Schedule template.xls
    12.4 KB · Views: 131
I actually do use a Gantt Chart, or used to before it became second nature. Still have it for visitors.

Why doesn't that surprise me :-D

I made a spreadsheet with my comp timeline and have it with us every week. Like Ryan, it is second nature now and i haven't referred to it for a long time.

Hi,

Ok, not a Gantt Chart so much, but does anyone use a highly structured organizational and time management tool for when you compete?

Eric

Yep...but I call it a game plan...or timeline. It can be as simple as notes on scrap paper...or as complicated as a spreadsheet...it just keeps me on track when I`m runnin` on empty during crunch time.

Used MS Project... ONCE... then got tired of having my laptop covered or sealed in a ziptop bag and went back to my old friend the whiteboard.

Not sure what one of those charts are... But I have a timeline. Never really need it, but it is like a safety blanket... It makes me feel better having it...

I am a human timeline. I have seven guys around me screaming the time that keeps me going. Maybe I should get organized????

I made one in excel. 4 meats on the top and times from 4am to 1:30pm along the left side. I then note the task for each meat and time (meat on drum, foil, etc). It gets taped on the inside of the canopy, works great. I get so busy chatting up my friends and neighbors its good to check in now and then to stay on track. So long as my temps stay consistent my timeline rarely deviates. We can then focus our efforts on having a good time and not stressing so much.

I made one in excel. 4 meats on the top and times from 4am to 1:30pm along the left side. I then note the task for each meat and time (meat on drum, foil, etc). It gets taped on the inside of the canopy, works great. I get so busy chatting up my friends and neighbors its good to check in now and then to stay on track. So long as my temps stay consistent my timeline rarely deviates. We can then focus our efforts on having a good time and not stressing so much.

Pretty much what we do. Set up your time cells to calculate from a single key cell and you need only make one change when dealing with non-standard turn-in times.

I don't have this competition thing all figured out just yet, but I working on it.

I make a binder for each comp. In it goes the Cooks Information Packet, my equipment checklist, blank paper for notes, and most importantly my timeline, which is an Excel spreadsheet. The timeline includes every detail for the weekend, from setting up the cook site to breaking down and packing up.

While I've done this quite a few times now, and I know all the steps by heart, having the small details scheduled ensures that nothing gets forgotten. For instance, when to put the brisket sauce on the smoker to warm up. That's an easy one to forget when you're in the thick of things during turn ins.

I usually cook with only one assistant, and with the quality of the competition these days, it seems you can't afford to miss even one small detail.

Back