The Hanover Backyard Beach BBQ Competition - August 20/21, 2010

that entry fee is pretty high for non sanctioned comp....but prize moneys look good.

I'm not sure how they can require competitors to hand out free samples to the paying crowd.........that would be a huge liability for all involved and one I will not participate in.

samples are expected to be given out (thats what concerns me). I have emailed a couple of times with the organizer, he says you can vend under their permits, could be fun. I didnt look at the turn in times, but Im sure they could be adjusted for.

o.k. the turn in times are odd, very odd..

can they use the K.C.B.S. logos and rules with out permission?

Last edited:
not sure.........but it does appear as they are using the logo for marketing this comp, and they say "The Hanover Backyard Beach BBQ Competiion is NOT a KCBS Sanctioned event; however, as organizers plan to seek sanctioning in 2011, this year's event will be following all KCBS rules and regulations. For a copy click logo above."

Click on the KCBS logo and it takes to the 2010 KCBS rule PDF sheet.

The non sanction comp in Huntingdon used KCBS rules but didnt use thier logo and they typed up thier own rule sheet based on KCBS rules

Sal- pulled this from KCBS logo info sheet

"The KCBS logo can be used by our members and officially sanctioned events
(in association with their own logos) for personal use or event promotion.
Mass reproduction of the logo on items is not permitted without the express
written consent of the KCBS board of directors or its official advertising agency​
(MMA Creative)."

http://www.kcbs.us/logos/LogoStandardsUsage.pdf

I have another commitment, so I won't be there. If it's sanctioned next year, I'm in for sure.
Hanover will be the site of the PA State ICS Chili Championship a few weeks later.

samples are expected to be given out (thats what concerns me). I have emailed a couple of times with the organizer, he says you can vend under their permits, could be fun. I didnt look at the turn in times, but Im sure they could be adjusted for.

o.k. the turn in times are odd, very odd..

can they use the K.C.B.S. logos and rules with out permission?
Most likely a KCBS licensed event.

Just got this from Dan, the organizer:

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:07:13 +0000
To: Porter Mac's Rockin' BBQ and Catering<pmrbbq@portermacsrockinbbq.com>
ReplyTo: information@hanoverbbbbq.com
Subject: Re: Question about turn in times?

I appreciate your input. Please pass on the following to your circle of teams.

1 we will adjust the times to mirror KCBS. The seafood and burger will be after the normal turn in times.

2 Samples are optional, but if team is selling their BBQ then samples will be expected.

3. KCBS teams can take off $100 from the registration fee as we want to have them here and will be sanctioned next year.

Please spread the word and thanks for the input. I hope your team and others will come.

Dan

Hope this helps... I will be there. Hanover is only a few minutes from HQ!

I dunno, these seem pretty fair...

“Professional Division”
Chicken 1st--$1,000; 2nd--$500; 3rd--$100
Pork Ribs & Pork 1st--$1,000; 2nd--$500; 3rd--$100
Beef Brisket 1st--$1,000; 2nd--$500; 3rd--$100
Seafood 1st--$1,000; 2nd--$500; 3rd--$100
Burger 1st--$1,000; 2nd--$500; 3rd--$100

Grand (Overall) Champion $1,000

Maybe a check for Reserve would be nice...

I guess I just like to see payments out to 5th place and yeah, definitely a reserve.....but what the heck do I know.

that is some big category money

Any idea if it will be cbj's or random people judging?

I guess I just like to see payments out to 5th place and yeah, definitely a reserve.....but what the heck do I know.

that is some big category money

Any idea if it will be cbj's or random people judging?

That I can't answer. I can say that he has told me he is really excited to be sanctioned next year, and is using this years contest as an 'audition.' Take it for what it is, I guess. Payouts are a little compressed and the turn-in times are a little askew, but, I'll still be there...

Just realized the event is the same dates as The Hudson Valley Ribfest.
I will be judging there.

asking for trouble by saying samples are their for people with wrist bands

Back