UDS Lid prep help needed

B

BigTone

hey guys, I already did my burn out, cleaned, sanded, and preped the drum. The lid (original flat lid) did not get burned out, as I started sanding, the paint just did not want to come off regardless of what I was using, I removed as much as I could. Is the top going to get hot enough to burn the paint off? I wanted to paint it with high temp but if the original paint is going to ruin it than maybe ill go get some paint stripper...any ideas? Thanks, anthony

You should be fine. Just paint over what you have. The lid should never get that hot and if it does, the paint is the least of your worries.

I think it will be fine to paint over it with high temp paint the lid should never get that hot

No reason to strip the outside.

Leave alone or repaint. SEASON the inside.

What color is the liner? With my last UDS I tried painting over the red liner on the inside of the lid and it ended up all bad. The paint ended up chipping off and flaked off paint ended up on food. This was the last staw for me to toss that POS and build a new one. The new one had a tan liner that i burned out and wire wheeled off and it is so much better. For me worth the extra work

No need to worry. I'm in the middle of a cook right now. Inside of lid and outside.
20130406_140913_zpsbeffbc32.jpg

20130405_133717_zps11c63d1d.jpg

The rubbed spot is where i tried to rub off the seasoning to show the inside had the liner still on the lid.

Back