• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp Sponsor Question

N

nascarchuck

Well, to start off with I'm not holding my breath on any sponsorship, but hey, it's worth a try!

My buddy and I are going to enter our first comp just for fun and the experience.

I work for a major newspaper and they have been known to sponsor softball teams and other events that employees participate in.

I was thinking of hitting them up for some money in exchange for flying a banner for them.

If that doesn't work out, I have a few others in mind that I am gonna beg, errr ask for some money, but like I said, we are virgins and don't have a track record to show.

Anyway, any tips on how and what to ask for?

This is a non sanctioned event with maximum of 40 teams and we will cook 3 out of 4 catagories.

Should be alot of fun!

Be prepared for some rookie questions down the road. I have done alot of reading here and got some good tips, but always open for some advice! :grin:

There is no set rules here. What hurts you most is that you don't have a track record. Don't feel alone there are alot of teams in the same boat including us. Alot of sponsors we have talked to want to see championships under your belt so we are in the same boat.

I just have gotten lucky, I asked alot of biz owners I know if they would like to sponser and a few have come through this year. All comp entries paid for a few extra $$ for stuff. Meat at cost from a local butcher, heck I ll take it. good luck, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. If you get the chance ask them while you are feeding them!!

I just have gotten lucky, I asked alot of biz owners I know if they would like to sponser and a few have come through this year. All comp entries paid for a few extra $$ for stuff. Meat at cost from a local butcher, heck I ll take it. good luck, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. If you get the chance ask them while you are feeding them!!

If you have any extra cash laying around, would you consider sponsering a broken down 2nd year team from Street Maryland?:lol:

We have never been lucky at sponsorship.
Tried, but just never connected.
Probably poor marketing skills on our part :oops:

Then, out of the blue, we got full sponsorship for a comp!
One time shot, but:
I will tell you it took a lot of the stress out of the event!

Good luck in your quest!

TIM

I got lucky with my employer and they agreed to sponsor us. It wasn't a great deal of money...but every little bit helps. It helps if there is a common thread between you and your intended target:twisted:. It just so happened that my boss is from Iowa and has an Iowa pig roaster on a trailer in his back yard (so he says). My partner and I plan on doin' some que for my company as well as possibly for his sailing club. I can dig this q'in for money thing! :p

My team has only competed twice but we got a sponsor before our second competition. It is a local meat market that provides all the meat for competitions and shirts for us to wear during the competitions. Not sure if they will continue this year, but any little bit helps.

This is a non sanctioned event with maximum of 40 teams and we will cook 3 out of 4 catagories.

Why aren't you cooking the 4th category? Unless it's something really out there, just cook it low and slow and it should turn out ok. :-D

Why aren't you cooking the 4th category? Unless it's something really out there, just cook it low and slow and it should turn out ok. :-D

The 4th category is wild game and neither of us know anything about or care about wild game. :eek::lol::lol::lol:

If you have any extra cash laying around, would you consider sponsering a broken down 2nd year team from Street Maryland?
Doesnt all of your prize money help enough? Shoot you could probably melt down all those trophies and sell them for scap and pay for 2 or 3 years!!:lol:

I sponsor Myself
I do invite my customers to come and eat Que
They love being "insiders" at a competition
We have 4 competitions within 4 miles of the office

You could offer to feed the Managers or........

Realtors are a good hit up. They always want pub. If your up for the work, have the realtor invite clients out and cook for them. I did it a while ago and a big bbq. We had a ton of people but the whole contest was paid for, entry, food and all.

Doesnt all of your prize money help enough? Shoot you could probably melt down all those trophies and sell them for scap and pay for 2 or 3 years!!:lol:

I already did that to try and take the edge off the rising cost of gas. As we all know, all other prices will soon be rising to adjust for the rising fuel costs. Meat, charcoal, beer.:eusa_clap OH NO NOT BEER!!!!!!:eusa_clap
The return on melted plastic from the scrap yard didnt help much!:cool:

I already did that to try and take the edge off the rising cost of gas. As we all know, all other prices will soon be rising to adjust for the rising fuel costs. Meat, charcoal, beer.:eusa_clap OH NO NOT BEER!!!!!!:eusa_clap
The return on melted plastic from the scrap yard didnt help much!:cool:
I will give 4 big ones , thats right 4 dollarenos for you brisket recipe and instructions on how to cook it...really,I am not kidding 16 quarter dollars, 400 pennies..:lol:

Back