Need a good baked bean recipe (smoked of course)

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone have a baked bean recipe they would be open to sharing? I am going to do some ribs this evening for family and want to check out some other recipes for baked beans on the smoker. Many thanks in advance for your help. Nothing too hot, got kids coming over.

i start withe store bought baked beans and add 1lb cooked bacon, 1 onion, 1 green bell pepper, and add bbq sauce and my pork rub to taste. it's pretty simple, but my customers love it. i also leave them in a cast iron dutch oven on the smoker for about 3 to 4 hours.

Do a search for keri's hog Apple beans....awesome.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Beat me too it frog.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

another vote for Keri's. For you guests, you might tone the head down some, otherwise it's the best recipe we have come across.

Thanks much, I tried the apple beans last time, came out far too sweet for my taste. Going to the store now, gonna do some hot beans and a regular batch for the kids. BACON...everything goes better with bacon.

For a kickin' version of Keri's Hog Apple Beans...

substitute Bush's Texas Ranchero Grillin' Beans
(pinto beans simmered with mild jalepeno in a red chile sauce)

3940001452_big.png

You can give these a try... Lately I've substituted plain white beans for the Bush's beans and kicked the other spices up a bit. No one complains...

The real secret is to put them under whatever else you are smoking and let the drippings go right in the beans. Be aware that some meats drip more than others and you may not want to leave them under for the entire cook (or be prepared to drain some of the grease off before eating).

Ok guys, I'm making Keri's beans. Do you drain the beans?

Where has that recipe been my whole life. Those beans were GREAT

Which one Strawboss? I just took mine off the grill a bit ago, they turned out great. Went to the store this morning and got the goodies, put the bacon and jalapenos on the smoke for a couple hours, diced and chopped, added diced green peppers, onion, my own bbq sauce and beans with a little brown sugar and some red pepper flake....smoked for three hours...took off and they turned out fantastic. Had to make a batch for the kids and one for the grown ups who like it hotter. Beans are a fun to-do when bbqing, that's for sure.

I made Keri's Hog Apple Beans. I toned down the cayenne pepper because some of the family does not like heat. I must say that they were a hit in the house

Boston Baked Beans

2 pounds small white or navy beans or 1 #10 can, drained (NOT G. Northern)
1 pound smoked pork shoulder, chopped (or 12 ounces of thick-cut bacon, diced)
2 onions, diced (4 cups)
water
1 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Soak the beans overnight, then put in large pot. Adjust the liquid to cover the beans by at least 2". Bring to a boil, then simmer 4 to 4-1/4 hours until the beans are soft and creamy but still intact. If you undercook the beans the dish won't be very good, so make sure all the beans are cooked, even the ones at the bottom. It helps to stir the pot every hour or so. A sprig of rosemary in with the cooking beans smells good. When the beans are done, put a colander in a large bowl and fill with beans/liquid, then stop pouring. Remove the beans and reserve the liquid.

Turn on the oven to 250F and adjust the racks. In a #12 Dutch oven, add molasses, brown sugar, cloves, salt & pepper, then gently fold in the beans, onion & meat. Add liquid to just barely cover, then put in the oven.

Bake the beans until the liquid has thickened, 4 to 10 hours.

Makes 25-36 servings.

The beans freeze well if you have leftovers.

Use the bean water in the recipe rather than fully draining the beans. It
adds flavor and body.

i've done this many times. It is great! The Ranch Style beans set it apart from most other recipes. I don't use as much sweetener as he recommends but instead add Big Butz BBQ sauce cuZ its one of my favorites.. I've never done the full recipe so I use 1 can of bush's original and 1 can of Ranch Style. Also, I add cooked rib tips, pulled pork, whatever.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/01/beans-for-crowd.html

I've done these beans twice, once with ketchup and once with bbq sauce. Patio Daddio knocked it out of the park! It makes a crapload of beans so be prepared with multiple pans. I did it with a pound of bacon last time too.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/01/beans-for-crowd.html

I've done these beans twice, once with ketchup and once with bbq sauce. Patio Daddio knocked it out of the park! It makes a crapload of beans so be prepared with multiple pans. I did it with a pound of bacon last time too.

Im going to second these beans. John always has some quality recipes. These are simple to make and they are awesome. He also has a lot of great recipes in his blog as well.

Back