Any help with michigan health regs?

dodgeramsst2003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the michigan health codes? specifically I would be in wayne, monroe washtenaw and maybe oakland counties. I'm looking to produce a cooker or two that will be rented out next summer as a fun part time gig. I would like to be able to offer "pitmaster" service as well provided I can make a business case for it with the insurance, regulations, etc. My out of pocket will be minimal as I have most of the material to make a few grills and smokers. I've looked on website after website and can't find the info I'm looking for. If I haven't found anything after the holidays I'll call wayne county and see if they can show me where the info is.

thanks,

Chris

Wow guys,

Everyone is a little protective of their territory? Thanks for the links I couldn't make heads or tails of the wayne county website. Most of my stuff will be very southern michigan, and I live in wayne county although I can walk out of my back door and see the Monroe county line. After having my truck stolen from Wayne State Campus I don't think I would want to take a cooker down there. Happy Q'ing and Bubba, Scott and myself are going to make it out that way one of these days!

Chris

Wow guys,

Everyone is a little protective of their territory? Thanks for the links I couldn't make heads or tails of the wayne county website. Most of my stuff will be very southern michigan, and I live in wayne county although I can walk out of my back door and see the Monroe county line. After having my truck stolen from Wayne State Campus I don't think I would want to take a cooker down there. Happy Q'ing and Bubba, Scott and myself are going to make it out that way one of these days!

Chris

Hey Chris, just messing with ya. I wish you nothing but success.

Happy Holidays!!

I would call your local health department and ask them. Are you just renting out the cookers by themselves or are you providing the meat also?

Well to start I'm just planning on renting the cookers as I don't have the time or money to get everything together for a health department cert. I would like to be able to add "personal chef" of "pitmaster" services but I'm not sure if michigan would see the difference between that and catering. I do know someone who caters and is certified. I might talk to her and see if she would like to add low and slow to the menu and just work under her license if thats allowed. This has to be a small capital investment that I can put in a little at a time as it (hopefully) grows. I have more time to make stuff than I do money to "buy" a business solution. I figure I can make my cookers and use them myself and then when there is a demand for it I can rent them out. I'm a little concerned over the liablity issue of someone getting burned on a hot surface, or if I add propane having someone let it go out and an explosion happening. You know what they say, "everytime you make something idiot proof, they make a better idiot"

Dodger;
I see you list a 250 gallon oil drum waiting to be built. I know that the Oakland COunty Health Department WILL NOT approve any cooking on a cooker made out of large oil drums, fuel oil etc. I'm guessing they wouldn't approve UDS's either.
Just FYI.

Scott

sfish,

Thanks for the info on Oakland county. Yeah the 250 gal is still waiting to be built, but I have stumbled upon a couple of 1/4" thick 22" dia x 3ft fresh rolled pieces. My mom's husband sells steel and called in a favor for me. I have one in the garage and one on the way next time the delivery truck rolls this way. I was going to use these for the firebox's on the 250 gal drums, but am thinking these will become a double smoker on a trailer instead. I'm still going to make the 250 gal smoker for my personal use and maybe some friends. I figured the HD would have a problem with old fuel/oil/petroleum containters.

I would call around to other caterers in the area and piggyback off of thier liscenses. Offer them your cookers and your services for real pit smoked bbq.

Back